• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Canceling a Contract ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canceling a Contract ?

Hi,

I'm a permy, and I'm discussing with my wife about making the jump; obviously I understand that each contract is different, but one of the things that is most concerning is contracts ending early.

What is considered "normal" for a client deciding they don't need you any more, a days notice, a week, a month? Obviously the worst thing that could happen is for me to leave "permy land" work for a week of a 6month contract and be left with nothing.

Comments about your experiences would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Nick
    linickx - Not worth listening to .... true in so many ways !

I've known people to get told they're not needed before they've even started (purchase orders being knocked back when they were 'definitely' through)
    I've seen clients give 1 day's notice before
    Where I'm working at the moment is best. They have a rule that states they'll give one month's notice to contractors.
    Always save a hefty pot before making them jump.

Comment

Gives clients a lot of comfort knowing they can cancel contracts, hence not 3 rounds of interviews like for permies. In reality, it is still effort getting the budget, reviewing CV's, interviews, making a decision, possibly waiting for people to finish other contracts, or getting turned down. They don't want to do this again, therefore, they are usually settled into keeping you for the time period specified. You have to really try hard to get binned in the first few weeks, you must be able to do most of the stuff you claimed you can (although some leeway on this I find) but the key thing is to not annoy people. I started one contract when a chap had been told he was out after 3 days because he got on everyone's nerves.
      It's basic stuff, keep your head down, pick up the vibes in the area, undercurrents, level of banter, details about people's lives. You are on your best behaviour and work the room accordingly. Over time you get a lot more flexibility. If you are basically normal and personable and have the skills they ask for (note - the job is ALWAYS easier than anything you expect or have been told) then it is not a concern. Turn up with attitude, start believing your invoice rate means you rock and it could be a problem.

Comment

Most contracts wont end early, but some do. Funding is removed or research changes viability status.
        This is part of the reason contract rates are so good (ha ha).
        You need to decide if ti is worth the risk.
        As advised above, it is easier to take the risk if you have enough in the bank to be out of work for a while. I try to keep 12 months "wages" in a slush fund for such emergencies.

Strangely, the short term cancellation of a contract is seen as risk for IR35 purposes, but only if it actualy happens!
        I have tried building in penalty clauses to my contracts, but have so far failed to get them accepted. I have let them slip rather than walk away except once where I felt the risk was too great.
        I try to add a clause which states that all works will be carried out at an agreed hourly rate for an agreed period of x months. Then add that should the contract be terminated before 3/4 term that all hours worked will be billed at my short term contract rate (usualy treble my 12 month rate).
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Beware of agents advertising long contracts. They often do this when they have a short contract at a low rate. They will then make think that it is a long contract so the rate doesn’t matter so much and you will find out the hard way that the client only wants you short term. The answer is ask the client how long he needs you.

If you are that worried I don’t think you should go contracting.
          HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

thanks people, this has been v.helpful.

kind regards,
            Nick
            linickx - Not worth listening to .... true in so many ways !

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              Strangely, the short term cancellation of a contract is seen as risk for IR35 purposes, but only if it actualy happens!
              Is this true TLG? My understanding was that a short (ideally zero) notice period was a pointer to being outside of IR35.

Anyone care to confirm?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
                Is this true TLG? My understanding was that a short (ideally zero) notice period was a pointer to being outside of IR35.

Anyone care to confirm?
                That is what I said (I think). Risk = outside IR35. Short notice = risk. SOme IR people require use of said clause to show its veracity (sp?).

Lini: Don't be put off. Many of us (including myself) jumped off the cliff with no safety net. I actualy took a 3 monther abroad at a reduced rate as a loss leader just to get started. No savings no nothing. Lived cheap, spent very little and built up a reserve.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

That is what I said (I think). Risk = outside IR35. Short notice = risk. SOme IR people require use of said clause to show its veracity (sp?).

Lini: Don't be put off. Many of us (including myself) jumped off the cliff with no safety net. I actualy took a 3 monther abroad at a reduced rate as a loss leader just to get started. No savings no nothing. Lived cheap, spent very little and built up a reserve.
                  Worked for me too. Don't be afraid to take your permie notice period off sick if you need to start sooner.

Ironically I've had permanent jobs that have lasted less than a week. I tend to quit in disgust.
                  Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Same here too. Went for a 3 monther in the UK and was still there 12 months later.
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X