• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

He's back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's back

BBC News - Graeme Obree challenges speed record with radical bike

A true innovator and a fine athlete as well. 83mph is the target.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    BBC News - Graeme Obree challenges speed record with radical bike

A true innovator and a fine athlete as well. 83mph is the target.
    My bum would stick out. For that reason, I'm out.

Comment

What an extraordinary guy. I hope he does it. I'd also love to see what Jason Kenny or Chris Hoy could do on that bike. Hoy's legs probably wouldn't fit in it though.

I'd quite like a go on that bike too actually.

Seriously, this guy Obree is brilliant; he won Olympic golds on bikes he'd built in his shed from bits of washing machines and completely revolutionised bike design to the point that the boring old farts at the UCI repeatedly ganged up to stop him winning, but in the process, along with Chris Boardman's successes, he showed the way for British track cycling's immense success.

Go for it.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Obree was the one with issues, iirc. Seemed to not fit in with the establishment, so went on his own?

Genius in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          Obree was the one with issues, iirc. Seemed to not fit in with the establishment, so went on his own?

Genius in my book.
          Good. People like that move things forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Good. People like that move things forward.
            Just as well, you'd be mad cycling backwards at those speeds.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Have you sent that idea to Mr Obree yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Have you sent that idea to Mr Obree yet?
                I'd be surprised if he's not considered it already.

Comment

And face down with your bum in the air and your nose inches from the tarmac is perfectly sane.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    And face down with your bum in the air and your nose inches from the tarmac is perfectly sane.
                    Riding a bike at those speeds isn't sane anyway, so why worry about that? Sitting on a standard racer descending a steep hill at 50+ is a bit mad too. Bloody good fun though, until the speed wobbles start or you come across a crowd of old farties on e-bikes coming up the hill. The trouble is that the standard racing bike design is stable between about 10 and 45 mph, but not very stable at really high speeds. it might have something to do with the skill of the rider though.

Comment

Working...
                    X