• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile data usage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile data usage

So how much data do you use, and for those that may have gone 4G in the past year or so do you use a lot more than when 3G was the norm.

Will probably be upgrading my 2.5 year old Galaxy S2 when the Samsung Note 3 comes out at the end of September and was wondering if I should be increasing my data allowance.

A mate of mine boasted that he has 8Gb a month on his contract, but after 3-4 months found he was only using nominally more than when he had a 500Mb limit on 3G.

So seems that 1 or 2 Gb should be ample.

Waiting for more Note 3 reviews but looking good so far.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    So how much data do you use, and for those that may have gone 4G in the past year or so do you use a lot more than when 3G was the norm.

Will probably be upgrading my 2.5 year old Galaxy S2 when the Samsung Note 3 comes out at the end of September and was wondering if I should be increasing my data allowance.

A mate of mine boasted that he has 8Gb a month on his contract, but after 3-4 months found he was only using nominally more than when he had a 500Mb limit on 3G.

So seems that 1 or 2 Gb should be ample.

Waiting for more Note 3 reviews but looking good so far.
    I must admit, Vodafone gave me a 3 month trial of All You Can Eat data, but I didn't manage to break the 1gb per month that I already have.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I must admit, Vodafone gave me a 3 month trial of All You Can Eat data, but I didn't manage to break the 1gb per month that I already have.
      Stream music in the car and you will hit the limits. Mind you the Times app will merrily consume 2gb for you if you keep the app installed and don't sit on wifi overnight.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Now I'm mostly in London I use bugger all because it's so damn slow.

When I was working outside and using it on customer sites for emails, downloading patches etc I had a 10GB plan I'd use at least 3-4GB a month.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I used to have 500mb and I would run out most months, sometimes right at the end of the month, sometimes as much as a week before the end. I've switched to a cheap sim-only plan now with 2gb and I've never got near that, think the most was about 1gb. This with plenty of Facebook, email, web browsing, CUK, occasional streaming video and probably some other stuff. Whether my consumption would increase just because it was 4G I'm not sure. Some streaming stuff may switch to a higher quality but apart from that I can't see usage increasing too much.

Comment

Last month I hit the 500MB limit for the first time since I got a 3G phone (2003/04). Mainly because I'd been on holiday with no internet access and as soon as we came back, all the Instagram photos and videos uploaded automagically.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have 1GB on my phone, and 15GB on my MiFi, I have never come close to either limit as i have most apps trained not to use mobile data, just wait till I am on WiFi
              Last edited by SimonMac; 10 September 2013, 08:49.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'm probably the exception, but playing Battlefield with my laptop tethered to my phone, when the hotel has a rubbish wifi signal I can eat data rather fast

Going over 1gb per month is the norm rather than the exception, thankfully I've not been told off on an unlimited data plan yet

And with iPlayer downloads on my phone, I can't imagine keeping below 1gig a month in the forseeable future either
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I bought the MiFi for when I was working away, but even then usually found a WiFi signal which allowed me to do what I needed to
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I got a deal with 3 - all you can eat data.

I use 3-4 G per month probably just on browsing etc - but i probably only use that much cos it is free!

Comment

Working...
                    X