• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed fail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed fail

Why is it clients give no indication of an extension even when prodded, but as soon as you're off to interviews suddenly ones on the table and for longer than your current contract

Go to interview, field questions from two managers and a couple of techies,feeling fairly stressed as it took 2 1/2 hours to get into London, 40 minutes to pay by phone for parking as my I kept getting cutoff, then got stop and searched outside one of the less publicly known US embassies and turn up with literally a minute to spare...so was feeling not exactly relaxed at the interview

So at end of interview get a told we'll let the agent know which is usually a don't call us we'll call you sign

Get back into work, client wants to offer an extension, not as much money as the one at interview but guaranteed for a longer period

Next day get a voice mail from the agent saying, would you like a contract , then agent for current gigs comes in wanting to make it a longer extension again

Agreed an extension, will now have to endure one rather angry agent....
    Doing the needful since 1827

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Why is it clients give no indication of an extension even when prodded, but as soon as you're off to interviews suddenly ones on the table and for longer than your current contract

Go to interview, field questions from two managers and a couple of techies,feeling fairly stressed as it took 2 1/2 hours to get into London, 40 minutes to pay by phone for parking as my I kept getting cutoff, then got stop and searched outside one of the less publicly known US embassies and turn up with literally a minute to spare...so was feeling not exactly relaxed at the interview

So at end of interview get a told we'll let the agent know which is usually a don't call us we'll call you sign

Get back into work, client wants to offer an extension, not as much money as the one at interview but guaranteed for a longer period

Next day get a voice mail from the agent saying, would you like a contract , then agent for current gigs comes in wanting to make it a longer extension again

Agreed an extension, will now have to endure one rather angry agent....
    Sounds like it's for the best, if you didn't enjoy your day out you aren't going to enjoy making it a regular occurrence.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Sounds like it's for the best, if you didn't enjoy your day out you aren't going to enjoy making it a regular occurrence.
      +1 unless you enjoyed the stop and search?
      Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
        Who doesn't!!!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

First time I ever drove into central London in the rush hour, normally I just train and tube

But when you've got to continue on to client site and drive around during the week it wasn't an option.

I'll always take existing clients over anyone else if possible unless it's a complete hell hole

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
            I think the running down the street with a black rucksack with a sat nav and smartphone in my hand frantically trying to get a signal so I get a streetmap didn't help (:

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
              I think the running down the street with a black rucksack with a sat nav and smartphone in my hand frantically trying to get a signal so I get a streetmap didn't help (:
              No that would most definitely not make you many friends

The way to feel better about it is that you got a result even when you thought you did badly at the interview.

Comment

I know the feeling - current place keeps saying no extension on offer then when I get 4 other offers they ask......

Comment

Stop and search? Is that a regular occurrence in London these days?
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    I know the feeling - current place keeps saying no extension on offer then when I get 4 other offers they ask......
                    Its easier in a project role, you will generally always know if you are getting an extension or not because the job has slipped or is finishing to schedule. My colleague picked up a really good second contract because client number one was rubbish at renewals. He has spent the best part of a year on double money as a result

Comment

Working...
                    X