• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying prescription Glasses online.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying prescription Glasses online.

Went for an eye test on Saturday and got the expected news that theres been a deteriation in the last couple of years ( comes to us all peeps! ) and was recommended varifocal lenses.
    High street prices are over double the online prices but I`ve never ordered glasses on line.
    Any experiences/ advice/ recommended sites?

I tried online glasses last year but was a total nightmare. All the frames I chose I had to send back and decided to buy on the high street, on the basis that if I keep glasses for say 5 years it does not cost that much. And there are always high street offers on anyway.

(Mind that lamppost now...)

Comment

I've been using GlassesDirect for years with no problems. But then I only need glasses when driving at night or in the cinema (slightly short-sighted) so I don't need them to be brilliant. They seem Ok though - avoid the plastic ones. And you can return them and exchange if you don't like them
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Maybe your eyesight needs testing - we discussed this the other day.

Try Lensway if you are looking for new glasses and lenses, or Ciliary Blue if you want reglazing.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Tried online once but they turned out to be crap, never again.

Pay a professional to examine you thoroughly and take your time trying different frames, even then my last experience of a high street opticians wasn't entirely without problem but it was easy to get a satisfactory outcome and I got a money off voucher for my inconvenience.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

A good pair of varifocal specs depends on:

Your prescription
            Your pupillary distance
            The height of the optical centre if the lens in the frame according to how the frame sits on you.

You really need to get varifocals from an optician.

For simple low prescription single vision distance or reading specs you may be ok with an online retailer.

Would you get complex code written by someone online based on a two line spec in an email?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              Tried online once but they turned out to be crap, never again.

Pay a professional to examine you thoroughly and take your time trying different frames, even then my last experience of a high street opticians wasn't entirely without problem but it was easy to get a satisfactory outcome and I got a money off voucher for my inconvenience.
              Having worked in the industry I would avoid the budget chains. My mum got a terrible thick lensed pair from a prominent chain. I went in with her to get it sorted. The Dispensing Optician explained that it was due to the prescription. I have him enough rope to hang himself before making him shrivel up in professional frame and agree to replace lenses.

Comment

If you use someone with a decent guarantee (Lensway have a good record and a 366 day guarantee) then if you don't like them, or they aren't good enough, then you send them back.

If you've never had varifocals then it;s probably worth getting the first pair right - when my dad got his, he had lots of problems with the ones that the optician provided and needed to get them remade a few times.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  If you use someone with a decent guarantee (Lensway have a good record and a 366 day guarantee) then if you don't like them, or they aren't good enough, then you send them back.

If you've never had varifocals then it;s probably worth getting the first pair right - when my dad got his, he had lots of problems with the ones that the optician provided and needed to get them remade a few times.
                  Have just worked through lensway's ordering system for varifocals. Although the pupillary distance is included, there is no indication of how the centre of the distance portion of the lens is positioned in front of the pupil height-wise. And indeed this is not possible without the patient wearing the frame sat in front of a dispenser.

Proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Have just worked through lensway's ordering system for varifocals. Although the pupillary distance is included, there is no indication of how the centre of the distance portion of the lens is positioned in front of the pupil height-wise. And indeed this is not possible without the patient wearing the frame sat in front of a dispenser.

Proceed with caution.
                    If they aren't right, send them back for your money back. I'm not sure how that's much different from a high street optician (assuming high street opticians offer a 100% money back guarantee).
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X