• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The F1 driver merry-go-round is officially started

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The F1 driver merry-go-round is officially started

With Ricciardo confirmed at Red Bull (obvious IMO), Massa has now officially announced he's leaving Ferrari. Raikonnen is 99% sure to be replacing him.

So now as well as all the hot young talent - Di Resta, Hulkenberg, etc - fighting for places in bigger teams (i.e. the Lotus seat) we have Massa looking for a drive. Chances Lotus would snap up Massa for the benefit of having a hugely experienced driver? Surely someone will want him?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    With Ricciardo confirmed at Red Bull (obvious IMO), Massa has now officially announced he's leaving Ferrari. Raikonnen is 99% sure to be replacing him.

So now as well as all the hot young talent - Di Resta, Hulkenberg, etc - fighting for places in bigger teams (i.e. the Lotus seat) we have Massa looking for a drive. Chances Lotus would snap up Massa for the benefit of having a hugely experienced driver? Surely someone will want him?
    Raikkonnen supposedly will get a 1 year deal with 1 year option so its only temporary. Although that could be because Alonso's contract also runs out in 2014.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Oh he might not have wanted a long contract - he's the one driver who might turn Ferrari down because he's bored.

Comment

Massa should get a seat, he is a better driver than people think.

His recent record doesn't look brilliant partly because he was never allowed to finish in front of Alonso. Before Alonso arrived at Ferrari, Massa was a point away from being world champion.

Comment

I think Di Resta is over-rated to be honest. Sutil is a stronger driver and he's not even 2nd tier.

Hulkenberg will do well wherever he goes, and I am hoping he get's a top seat soon. I think Lotus aren't very well funded, so a move there could be good business on both sides as they need a quick replacement for Kimi, and need not to have to pay him much, as they were with Kimi, occasionally...

Massa I can't see getting a seat. He has no money behind him, all of the top seats, aside from Lotus, have gone and the other seats all require a purse. It's also been pretty much conclusive he's lost what pace he did have.

For me, the seats, of interest, up for next year will be:

Williams - Will have one or both seats up, but need money.
          FI - Parent company (SAHARA) in financial do do, may take one pay driver.
          Sauber - In very deep financial do do, have already taken on young pay driver, and expect to see another, like Petrov, in the other seat.

So, realistically, I think there will be one paying drive left in the paddock.

Comment

Agreed. But with Lotus, or filling the seat of whoever moves to Lotus? I wonder if he could go to Williams, they really need an experienced driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

His recent record doesn't look brilliant partly because he was never allowed to finish in front of Alonso. Before Alonso arrived at Ferrari, Massa was a point away from being world champion.
              He's only once or twice looked like showing any pace since then as well. Not really his fault, but Hungary 2009 was the end of him really as a racing driver. Ferrari held on to him as they felt emotionally attached to him, but he's never looked that good really. Despite, pretty much, having the best car in 2008, he lost. Maybe by only a point, but he still lost.

Comment

Agreed. But with Lotus, or filling the seat of whoever moves to Lotus? I wonder if he could go to Williams, they really need an experienced driver.
                But they need money too. They're making losses hand over fist. However, if they've signed for Mercedes, may be a seat worth having. Brawn is rumoured to have bought out Toto Wolff's shares too, making him a 15% owner of Williams...

Comment

This is to be expected. When there is a vacancy at the best team on paper, a lot of such moves across teams should be expected. Massa is gone. And Raikkonnen replacing him is very much anticipated. But then again, he is the only one person who is unpredictable with his choices. This should hopefully be good news for sutil or hulkenberg. If not Massa, then who Lotus would have as a replacement is going to be something to watch for.

It was amazing to watch Sutil's progress during the initial half of this season. But then on the other hand, we have also seen him make some mistakes that would make us bet against him as well. We have to wait and watch as it unfurls. Only after the top rung teams fill in their positions would the mid and bottom teams be able to think of making their choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

I agree with you re: Massa being underrated, but in reality, Alonso is nearly always ahead of Massa on merit and it's rare that team orders are necessary. It was the same with the Schumacher-Barrichello situation. Lots of people went on about Barrichello having to be number 2, but in truth, Schumacher was faster.

Lotus will have Hulkenberg, who'd only signed for one year with Sauber and as Sauber look like they need two pay drivers there's no chance of him staying. Williams need Maldanado's money too much, but maybe they'd look at an alternative to Bottas, but only one with money. I think Force India will stay the same. Unfortunately all the midfield teams that might hire Massa need money more than experience.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X