• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Howdo!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdo!

Afternoon folks!

My name's Tom, I'm an IT Infrastructure Support Engineer who's just been made redundant, and I live near Mansfield in Nottinghamshire.

I am looking at the possibility of setting up as a Contractor, and while I've read the PCG's "Guide to Freelancing", it still doesn't give me a clear picture in my head about what to do once I've registered my Company Name and so on. How do I begin, how do I get that first contract... and what's the process from start to finish of securing ANY contract?

What will my working day be like? How much time will I likely have for business related activity during my working day, and if I don't get any, how much work will I have at night when I get home?

It's all this "general", "real life works like THIS" info that I need; official guides seem to miss this part out...

Tom
    Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you!
    StoneBlog Prime

"What will my working day be like? How much time will I likely have for business related activity during my working day, and if I don't get any, how much work will I have at night when I get home?"

You still sound like a permie. Better get a permie job!
    HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
      "What will my working day be like? How much time will I likely have for business related activity during my working day, and if I don't get any, how much work will I have at night when I get home?"

You still sound like a permie. Better get a permie job!
      Hardly surprising is it seeing as I've never been a contractor before? Why on earth do you think I posted as I did? If your reply is typical of the site, then maybe I came to the wrong place... I came looking for help and advice on a professional, business footing.

Tom
      StoneBlog Prime

Comment

Originally posted by StoneLaughter
        Hardly surprising is it seeing as I've never been a contractor before? Why on earth do you think I posted as I did? If your reply is typical of the site, then maybe I came to the wrong place... I came looking for help and advice on a professional, business footing.
        Now you sound like a permy!
        Winge! Winge!
        Go post in the correct area!

You could try the caravaning Web site

Comment

His answer is typical of the general forum, if you want sensible answers ask the question in the business/contracts forum. There some sensible types who hang around there, not the run of th mill frivolous types in here.

You will still be flamed if you appear not to have read the first timers stuff available on this site (look in the nav bar).
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

The contract lifestyle is not for everyone. Basically it comes down to the fact that you're running your own company and are responsible for it's success. This inevitably means going where the work is - to my mind those that get the gig 10 mins from home at a ridiculous day rate are few and far between. On the other hand, you are your own boss and so could choose only to take gigs that mean you can work from home or round the corner.

You need to look at it as a business i.e Don't blow all the profit on new breasts for the missus in the first few months and also get used to the fact that you are now the hired help/supplier and not some permie slacker/kiss arse.

Also lesson 1 is that agents are not your best mate doing you a favour 'cos they like you. They are also in business to make as much profit as possible.

Finally - ignore the abuse you get here. There are some knowledgable people here who will give you a hard time if you don't do any research before posting but ultimately know what they're talking about. There are also some 12 year olds who think they're 'something of a hitter' in the city but they just generally call people names and act like tossers.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
              Finally - ignore the abuse you get here. There are some knowledgable people here who will give you a hard time if you don't do any research before posting but ultimately know what they're talking about. There are also some 12 year olds who think they're 'something of a hitter' in the city but they just generally call people names and act like tossers.

HTH

Thanks very much and that last part did help a lot. I have done a LOT of research; I've read the first timers guide here, and as I said I read PCG's "Guide to Freelancing". However, from those things I don't get a "Feel"
              for what life's going to be like; also I still don't get the process of landing the next gig.

For instance, does it go "contact the agent having seen an ad, send CV, book interview with client, offered job, client send contract, review contract, get it checked for IR35 and legal pitfalls, sign and return contract, start work"? Or do I have the order wrong, missed things out, added extra bits in.... what?

Tom
              StoneBlog Prime

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                The secret is working out which are the tossers and which aren't...

Giant Alien Lizards excepted of course.

Read, digest & understand the sticky in Accounting about whether to use your own company, an umbrella, or whatever.
                1. Oh, I'm getting an idea.

2. Thank you I will.

Tom
                StoneBlog Prime

Comment

If there's an agency involved, your contract is with the agent, not the client. They bill the client, you bill the agent.

Comment

I can be nice too.

Sometimes.

Well, when I say sometimes, I mean...

Comment

Working...
                    X