• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Royal Mail float

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Mail float

A quick buck?

My dad doubled his money on all the privatisations in the 80's, is it still possible to do the same?
    Buy and keep for the long term (years)
    21.88%
    Buy and keep for the medium term (months)
    25.00%
    Buy and try and make a quick profit (days)
    37.50%
    Too risky staying away
    15.63%
    Andyw's mum delivers the only thing I need
    0.00%
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

just add soda & Ice cream?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yep, my dad used to send in applications from the entire family for all these and made decent coin.
      I'm in for this sell-off (although IPO's are often a disappointment), will definitely be 'priced to go' i.e. cheap, so that the headlines don't say pat loses 300 quid on first day of share dealing and has to sell van :-(
      Won't be a long term hold though, will look to get a profit and bail. NOT a certainty but worth a few bob punt.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        A quick buck? My dad doubled his money on all the privatisations in the 80's, is it still possible to do the same?

Comment

Is that an expert opinion?

Every other British privatisation has been a success for the investor has it not?
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

The biggest draw back of the RM has always been the Pension and the Red Tape, the Govt are keeping the pension liabilities and private ownership should cut the red tape.

Not saying its gonna be a yes, but its not a no yet
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Every other British privatisation has been a success for the investor has it not?
              Give specific examples please.

Comment

BT, British Gas and BA are the big ones from the 80's, they were transformed into thriving modern blue chips that are favourites of the pension funds.

Railtrack was a bit of damp squib by comparison but not a fail.

Still laughing?

Comment

BT, British Gas and BA

Still laughing?
                  Yes.

Ok, BT got sold in time when there was massive raise in market of communications.

British Gas - people need warm houses to survive - demand for product is inherent and energy costs have been going mainly up since late 80s.

BA - very good reputation and people in this country love to get to a sunny beach.

What's there for Royal Mail? Crazy union relations (10% shares given to them won't change much), monopoly is gone, core letter delivery business is crumbling, there only thing that's could have gone well for them is parcel delivery (due to online trade) but they are tulip at it and many companies switched to their competitors. Lots of Post Offices got closed to cut costs and that greatly undermined whole service - they could have conrnered the market of online deliveries if they were actually open until later than tulipy 5:30pm.

Good luck with their shares.

Comment

I always thought pubs were the perfect partners for parcel deliveries. Anything that wouldn't go through a letterbox, drop it at the nearest pub for collection when the customer got back from work. Most pubs have a vehicle that could deliver larger items that you couldn't handle, all the others it's 'I'm off to the pub to pick up my parcel luv, I might be gone a while'

I had this idea years back when Amazon was cited as the ideal eCommerce site because books would fit through the letterbox. Wish I'd have realised how they would expand to dominate the online shopping market.

If Kindles had come out before Amazon got big and diversified it might have killed their business.

Comment

Working...
                    X