• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Pope and Dawkins: two sides of the same coin.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pope and Dawkins: two sides of the same coin.

Reading the times today:

Dawkins says morality has nothing to do with religion.

The Pope says it's not a sin to not believe in God as long as you follow your conscience.

I'll probably be ok which ever then
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Reading the times today:

The Pope says it's not a sin to not believe in God as long as you follow your conscience.

I'll probably be ok which ever then
    See my sig
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

wow first condoms now non believing downrated as sins. The catholic church is slowly starting to come into the real world?

lets hope they start leaving little boys alone.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If you're an atheist who believes in morality, you have little option to believe otherwise.

I don't recall anyone saying it was a sin not to believe in God. It's all the other sins you have to worry about!
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I don't recall anyone saying it was a sin not to believe in God.
          So what is heresy?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I don't recall anyone saying it was a sin not to believe in God. It's all the other sins you have to worry about!
            Strange 6 out of the 10 13 commandments state he exists and requires you to obey and worship him first.

admittedly the Catholics roll the first 3 into one but that makes it the first 4 out of 10.

Ten Commandments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm pretty sure all Catholics believe the commandments are central to their belief.
            Last edited by vetran; 12 September 2013, 14:28. Reason: can't count
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thomas Aikenhead was indicted in December 1696. The indictment read:

That ... the prisoner had repeatedly maintained, in conversation, that theology was a rhapsody of ill-invented nonsense, patched up partly of the moral doctrines of philosophers, and partly of poetical fictions and extravagant chimeras: That he ridiculed the holy scriptures, calling the Old Testament Ezra's fables, in profane allusion to Esop's Fables; That he railed on Christ, saying, he had learned magick in Egypt, which enabled him to perform those pranks which were called miracles: That he called the New Testament the history of the imposter Christ; That he said Moses was the better artist and the better politician; and he preferred Muhammad to Christ: That the Holy Scriptures were stuffed with such madness, nonsense, and contradictions, that he admired the stupidity of the world in being so long deluded by them: That he rejected the mystery of the Trinity as unworthy of refutation; and scoffed at the incarnation of Christ.[3]
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Strange 6 out of the 10 13 commandments state he exists and requires you to obey and worship him first..
                You can believe in God and break the commandments. Talking about "believing in" God is rather airy-fairy, as the saying goes even the Devil believes in God

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  So what is heresy?

That ... the prisoner had repeatedly maintained, in conversation, that theology was a rhapsody of ill-invented nonsense, patched up partly of the moral doctrines of philosophers, and partly of poetical fictions and extravagant chimeras: That he ridiculed the holy scriptures, calling the Old Testament Ezra's fables, in profane allusion to Esop's Fables; That he railed on Christ, saying, he had learned magick in Egypt, which enabled him to perform those pranks which were called miracles: That he called the New Testament the history of the imposter Christ; That he said Moses was the better artist and the better politician; and he preferred Muhammad to Christ: That the Holy Scriptures were stuffed with such madness, nonsense, and contradictions, that he admired the stupidity of the world in being so long deluded by them: That he rejected the mystery of the Trinity as unworthy of refutation; and scoffed at the incarnation of Christ.[3]
                  And? That doesn't say that not believing in Christ/God is a sin, that's about public declaration of your unbelief.

It may well be that strictly speaking unbelief is itself a sin, even if you keep it to yourself, but this example seem like the difference between thinking black people are inferior in your head, and running down the street shouting about it - both are unwise but only one is illegal!
                  Last edited by d000hg; 12 September 2013, 14:33.

Comment

and what became of him? If he'd said that at the time in France or Spain, or most countries, they'd have lit a bonfire under him
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X