• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone contract through Hays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone contract through Hays

Hi

I have been to a NHS client and they want me to start on Monday. Cool! But it's through Hays and after reading up about the BET's questionnaire and Hay's contracts being not very IR35 friendly I am having even more problems.

They have sent me a zip file full of forms to fill in before I start and they issue a schedule of works.....weird.

I have supplied the business bank details/cert of incorp and VAT as usual, even went into local office and present passport/bills for scan....no one needs this in person usually email is suffice

But most of the forms they sent seem to be pretty much for "temporary workers" i.e. a builder temp type arrangement or secretary.

One is candidate application form, one is a bacs form (with NI number requested )!! WTF

I have just spent 20 minutes suggesting to the agent that he has all the information he needs to send me a contract with schedule, setup payment etc but he is insisting on filling out the application and threatening to go to client and say I don't want the role and that I wont sign forms.

They are irrelevant in a back to back arrangement they do not need to know of my next of kin/ni etc has anyone else had to sign this tulip?
    Do I just walk away? it quite local, it's a good project and they rate aint bad either and been on the bench a few weeks now.

Originally posted by Mike_Collingwood View Post
    Hi

I have been to a NHS client and they want me to start on Monday. Cool! But it's through Hays and after reading up about the BET's questionnaire and Hay's contracts being not very IR35 friendly I am having even more problems.
    Hays are well known for not having IR35 friendly contracts let alone to this sector. A search will find the threads on it.

I have supplied the business bank details/cert of incorp and VAT as usual, even went into local office and present passport/bills for scan....no one needs this in person usually email is suffice
    Yes they do. backatcha

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

This is just one piece of guidance. All the others also state the same about proving who that person is in person. Check page 7
    Last edited by northernladuk; 12 September 2013, 18:53.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You could pre-empt it, contact the client and explain the agency is dragging their heals over the contract, and they might have to wait a couple of days before you sort contractual stuff out

Go on abour all the usual health and safety risk assessments that they want carried out etc, and you're finding it difficult to get two references from clients you haven't provided services for in over decade
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Hays are well known for not having IR35 friendly contracts let alone to this sector. A search will find the threads on it.

Yes they do. backatcha

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

This is just one piece of guidance. All the others also state the same about proving who that person is in person. Check page 7
        That's weird, in the 8-9 years contracting I have never had to present my Passport or proof of address in person, I have the documents scanned in ready to email across when required...... either 99% of agency's are braking the rules or something is not working!

Comment

That's weird, in the 8-9 years contracting I have never had to present my Passport or proof of address in person, I have the documents scanned in ready to email across when required...... either 99% of agency's are braking the rules or something is not working!
          Have to say I have both experiences, just an email or drive across Manchester to show in person. It is up to the agent how much diligence he proves. Talking to you and looking at your CV it is a pretty safe assumption you can work in the UK but it only takes one mess up to expose themselves very badly. We had a thread about an agent that did this mid way through a contract so we surmised they had an audit incoming.

If you Opt In though they are legally obliged to check this stuff so would expect to have to do it in person.

We should expect a face to face but get a bonus if they accept by mail IMO
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi

They have sent me a zip file full of forms to fill in before I start and they issue a schedule of works.....weird.

But most of the forms they sent seem to be pretty much for "temporary workers" i.e. a builder temp type arrangement or secretary.

One is candidate application form, one is a bacs form (with NI number requested )!! WTF

I have just spent 20 minutes suggesting to the agent that he has all the information he needs to send me a contract with schedule, setup payment etc but he is insisting on filling out the application and threatening to go to client and say I don't want the role and that I wont sign forms.

They are irrelevant in a back to back arrangement they do not need to know of my next of kin/ni etc has anyone else had to sign this tulip?
            Do I just walk away? it quite local, it's a good project and they rate aint bad either and been on the bench a few weeks now.

Hays got a bollocking from HMG auditors and nearly lost their status because they did not do proper checks hence why they are strict. The forms are crap but just adapt them and cross out anything to Ltd Co, the NAT number is not required, see and read their website before posting, it explains what to do when using your Ltd Co. RTFM
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Hays got a bollocking from HMG auditors and nearly lost their status because they did not do proper checks hence why they are strict. The forms are crap but just adapt them and cross out anything to Ltd Co, the NAT number is not required, see and read their website before posting, it explains what to do when using your Ltd Co. RTFM
              I'm with Hays ATM and opted-in and they've not asked for this. However...

1. They've got the clientco, rate and term wrong on everything...

2. They ring me every week saying they're the Contractor Care Team and ask me the same stuff like it's day one.

3. I've not seen a proper contract

4. I was asked to accept the this so-called contract before I saw the contract (in writing), which I haven't but I know I turned up etc..

5. I had to push them to take my Co cert and VAT reg cert (they've paid me with no vat - and by cheque because they don't have my bank details because they didn't ask I had to push that too - got a BACS form today to fill in....)

I know they're wank but I'm not worried about IR35 because basically on onsite I do what I want working-practise-wise with a nod from Der Management which is not what it probably says in the contract I don't have.

Hays: "Hi, I;m F*iz*l form the Contractor Care Team, I'd like to introduce myself..."

Me: "I know, I spoke to you last week and the week before...."

Comment

I've had some excellent work through Hays

Pay weekly and are big enough not to go bust (probably)

I have no problem with jumping through their hoops if it gets me work.

Comment

Well After thinking about this overnight I think this contract is too much of a risk in my eyes

Looking at the post about the contract http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...r_02-12-a.html

I think there are too many things adding up to make this not worth the hassle and worry for the following reasons:

1) The contract looking at the above post is deemed to be IR35 unfriendly (QDOS will confirm or deny this for me today).
                  2) If the contract is marginal then when the BET request from the HMRC/NHS comes in I will probably be inside IR35 from the contract side of things (working practices I would do my best to be outside).
                  3) All the paperwork Hays sent me is for "assignments" and nothing suggesting a Back to Back contract for my Ltd company and just stinks to me - Filling out forms that are applications for candidate asking me about what have I been doing to find work etc is a no no in my eyes and then having to argue the validity with the agent is just plan stupid.

Just makes me mad that these Agency's block me from working with clients in a way that allows me to operate as a provider helping them carry projects that will increase their business capabilities. With things like this and not putting my CV forward to clients as because my daily rate is at the "top" of the clients budget etc just plain nasty working practices.

I cant believe that ALL agency's don't have the one standard contract that is known by everyone to be outside IR35 and just use that. They can then adjust the Work Schedule to adapt to specifics that may pop up.

But hey hoo I will continue to look for another gig

Comment

I did an NHS (strictly speaking an arms length body of DH but with NHS branding) gig via Hays. There was a bit of paperwork but they were fine.

PM me if you like.

Comment

Working...
                    X