• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another reason to cut benefits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another reason to cut benefits

Food prices could go up due to lack of seasonal fruit and veg pickers - Telegraph

Food prices could go up because of a lack of seasonal workers, farmers have warned, after the Government refused to allow non-EU migrants into the country to pick fruit and vegetables.

Quite why they allow any migrants in to pick these is beyond me - why aren't benefits slashed until the number of jobs available are filled?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Food prices could go up due to lack of seasonal fruit and veg pickers - Telegraph

Food prices could go up because of a lack of seasonal workers, farmers have warned, after the Government refused to allow non-EU migrants into the country to pick fruit and vegetables.

Quite why they allow any migrants in to pick these is beyond me - why aren't benefits slashed until the number of jobs available are filled?
    because that may actually be a good idea...

I comepltely agree -- oh you want benefits certainly sir just go to your local fruit farm for 6 hours a day and pick fruit - you also get to eat some which you may find novel....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Quite why they allow any migrants in to pick these is beyond me -
      Because people need food and there aren't many people prepared to pick the fruit and veg. Agreed that at least long term unemployed people shouldn't pick and choose their work and could do this, but what bloody use are they to a farmer if they aren't motivated to get the job done?

I agree that benefits people should take the job that's available, but I don't see why a farmer, running his own business, perhaps having made a huge capital investment for a small business, should be forced to work with second rate personnel. None of you would accept that in your businesses, so don't force it on farmers' businesses.

By the way, the Dutch government tried this two years ago; they turned away lots of eastern Europeans at the start of the fruit picking season (cherries first, then others). The policy collapsed after a month where a record cherry harvest ended up rotting on the trees.
      Last edited by Mich the Tester; 13 September 2013, 07:36.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

because if they take the seasonal job they lose their benefits for 6 weeks afterwards. As each benefit is applied for separately you then have to pester the benefits office for months to get back to where you were.

The pay from fruit picking is so low they are better off on benefits. Remember they are tax free and certain benefits make a great difference at lower rungs. To me prescription charges are a minor cost to others it is 10% of their take home, same with council tax, if you lose the benefits these become massive costs that you need to pay.

Like cooking curries from pre packaged sauces apparently only certain nationalities can pick certain fruits.

Its a great advert for workfare.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Because people need food and there aren't many people prepared to pick the fruit and veg. Agreed that at least long term unemployed people shouldn't pick and choose their work and could do this, but what bloody use are they to a farmer if they aren't motivated to get the job done?
          Perhaps if it meant the difference putting food on the table or not they would be motivated.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Perhaps if it meant the difference putting food on the table or not they would be motivated.
            Motivated to do as little work as they can possibly manage to get the wages?

No use to a farmer.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              because that may actually be a good idea...

I comepltely agree -- oh you want benefits certainly sir just go to your local fruit farm for 6 hours a day and pick fruit - you also get to eat some which you may find novel....
              If you're picking fruit 6 hours a day you don't need to be on benefits.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                If you're picking fruit 6 hours a day you don't need to be on benefits.
                how do you work that out?

£6.19 * 40 = £247 a week 3 months a year. Should pay for the wife & kids to live in a shoebox in the south east and eat once a month.

Mate of mine worked out he needed to be on > £8 an hour to be better off in work. He actually is a very hard worker and wanted to work.

The financial side is important as is the work ethic side.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Build some fences around the fields, put up some tents and you have a ready-made workhouse for the chavvy benefit scrounger scumbags

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Motivated to do as little work as they can possibly manage to get the wages?

No use to a farmer.
                    Surely you would say "Go pick fruit, and we'll give you a top up on your wages so that you're not worse off. Oh, and by the way, **** it up and get fired and you'll get nothing."

The only problem then is regulating the farmers to ensure they don't abuse the fear power they now have over their workers.

Comment

Working...
                    X