• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oi Birmingham!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oi Birmingham!

Quit closing the M6 late at night when I'm trying to head North

Presume this is to allow the gantry erection for the managed motorway stuff

Managed Motorways good or bad? (should have had a poll!)
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Are you suggesting that the gentry get erections with motorway managers?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

M25 would be far worse without. Its still over subscribed but you do crawl round at 30 mph instead of crashes every mile. By dropping speed and keeping it moving you avoid accidents.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

the thing I hate about these is that say its like 50 - so you do 50 - but there is always someone coming up right behind you doing 51

so you maybe speed up to 51 but then you worry that there are speed cameras on the over head gantry (they all have signs not all have cameras - barstewards).

I am happy to do your 50 mph - just make it easy for me!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          the thing I hate about these is that say its like 50 - so you do 50 - but there is always someone coming up right behind you doing 51

so you maybe speed up to 51 but then you worry that there are speed cameras on the over head gantry (they all have signs not all have cameras - barstewards).

You should realise that the 50 on your speedo is unlikely to be a true 50 and under report,add in the tolerances on the cameras (say 10% before a camera is triggered) and you should set your cruise to at least 55
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

before that you were doing 70 and they were doing 99. Then ahead they were doing 30 because it was bunched up. You ended up with waves and more crashes. Its better not perfect.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I quite enjoy setting the cruise control and watching everyone bunch up behind me, smug in the knowledge that I'm doing the limit and there's nothing they can do about it.
              I live just off a single carriageway A road - most of it is 50mph limit, but it drops to 40 as it goes through a small village. I imagine I enrage a fair few people when I drop the cruise control down for that stretch, as a lot of people ignore it.

Comment

I think the SCPO say they don't prosecute if you're under 10% + 3mph (Although some renegade forces use 10% + 2).

What I do, with any new car, is use a sat nav (which averages speed over a polling distance), set my cruise to say 50, and see what speed the sat nav returns over a couple of miles. You can work out how accurate your speedo is then, and can set speeds accordingly, without fear of getting the points. I do it at 50 and inch up to when my car is actually doing 56/57 (on mine that's 60/61 on the dash), then at 70 and inch it towards 80 on the sat nav (that's 85 on my speedo).

Smug people going at 45mph, I normally overtake.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  I think the SCPO say they don't prosecute if you're under 10% + 3mph (Although some renegade forces use 10% + 2).
                  I know it used to be generally true that the limit was 10% + (I thought 2mph), but there are some forces, or at least some routes, who have a policy to apply the limit strictly. The reasoning being that although your speedo will not be 100% accurate, it will only ever over-estimate your speed, like you said.

Comment

Working...
                  X