• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should the BoE choke off our last remaining growth industry?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the BoE choke off our last remaining growth industry?

BBC News - Bank of England must limit house price booms, says Rics

Bank of England must limit house price booms, says Rics
    Yes
    61.11%
    No
    27.78%
    AndyW for head of BoE
    11.11%

If it wasn't for the Government stoking house prices, there wouldn't be a boom. Talk about right hand, left hand.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Not until I have finished my time in London, then I can sell at a huge profit and move to somewhere a whole lot cheaper.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

The Gov is renting his place so go go go

Comment

I feel like telling the RICs, sorry we meant to read your press release but it would have meant lifting the cover - you only paid for a basic report!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            Not until I have finished my time in London, then I can sell at a huge profit and move to somewhere a whole lot cheaper.
            And what about your children?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              And what about your children?
              We'll eat them later.

Comment

There is a simple solution and that's CGT (at 50%) all on property sales, including primary residence.

When calculating the gain, you are allowed to offset any large capital spends (e.g. extension) and the annual rate of inflation (calculated based on earning inflation) for the years you owned the property.

I would suggest this in place of stamp duty.

Other countries do this and it works well.

House prices can rise, but not faster than general level of wage inflation, if they do, only the govt wins.

Comment

Why should a government be allowed to interfere with a "free economy"?

The professionals are pretty tulip at moving markets in the way they want, So why would a civil servant have any better luck? We can't stop crashes and we can't even change the way they happen. Markets find their own way

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    There is a simple solution and that's CGT (at 50%) all on property sales, including primary residence.

When calculating the gain, you are allowed to offset any large capital spends (e.g. extension) and the annual rate of inflation (calculated based on earning inflation) for the years you owned the property.

I would suggest this in place of stamp duty.

Other countries do this and it works well.

House prices can rise, but not faster than general level of wage inflation, if they do, only the govt wins.
                    not so Dim prawn!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X