• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much bureaucracy to kill pimps ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much bureaucracy to kill pimps ?

One reason recruiters exist is the reluctance of contractors to use databases.

Take as an example one of the largest users of external IT resource in the UK

In some cases they have a contractor whose rate is added to by an agent then by a consultancy which means they pay a lot more than the going rate for work.

They hand out enough work that I think it would be rational for a contractor to fill in the online form, cut&paste a bit of text from their CV and when poked every 6 months or so, update the boxes.
    Managers who needed stuff done would then be able to search for skills, picking out the ones they want.

The costs would be maintaining the online database and the people who'd poke you every so often to update, there would never be any "we want two references before we submit your CV" nonsense.

In fact there would be no recruiter in this process at all, no salesmen, no need for the agency to buffer the payments between client and contractor so we'd be looking at (I guess) a flat 10% margin for providing a self service solution.

Would contractors sign up for such a thing ?
    My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post

Take as an example one of the largest users of external IT resource in the UK

In some cases they have a contractor whose rate is added to by an agent then by a consultancy which means they pay a lot more than the going rate for work.

They hand out enough work that I think it would be rational for a contractor to fill in the online form, cut&paste a bit of text from their CV and when poked every 6 months or so, update the boxes.
    Managers who needed stuff done would then be able to search for skills, picking out the ones they want.

The costs would be maintaining the online database and the people who'd poke you every so often to update, there would never be any "we want two references before we submit your CV" nonsense.

In fact there would be no recruiter in this process at all, no salesmen, no need for the agency to buffer the payments between client and contractor so we'd be looking at (I guess) a flat 10% margin for providing a self service solution.

Would contractors sign up for such a thing ?

Isn't that what LinkedIn does?
    Join IPSE

Comment

See contractor club. All that company needs to do is post their requirements there and people will apply for appropriate ones.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

+1, but agents infest Linkedin as well. My calls these days from agents are 50/50 from Jobserve and Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
          Isn't that what LinkedIn does?
          If you keep your profile upto date exclients jsust get spammed to death by agents trying to get a foothold in their companies preferred supplier list

I'd give anything without agencies in the chain a try, but back it up with insurance for non payment and you'd have a deal broker
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Also the other way around the agents should filter the applicants and vouch for their effectiveness.

400 CVs for an entry level job of which all but 10 were completely useless. 30 looked good but 5 minutes on the phone with each filtered them out.

Now if companies could decide what they want and select from a menu of validated candidates it might work.

The pimp also acts as an easy way to say goodbye.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
              I use one all day, every day that I'm paid to work.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Also the other way around the agents should filter the applicants and vouch for their effectiveness.

400 CVs for an entry level job of which all but 10 were completely useless. 30 looked good but 5 minutes on the phone with each filtered them out.
                Now if companies could decide what they want and select from a menu of validated candidates it might work.
                Clients won't pay for filtering. The current situation is that they pay more than they should for the service they get but won't pay enough for the service they want.
                My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

Working...
                X