• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A book for the CUK regular

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A book for the CUK regular

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...lance&n=266239

While Europe Slept: How Radical Islam Is Destroying the West from Within

A review:

Underneath its surface tolerance and secular welfarism, there lurks something very sinister in the Europe of today, something that the sanctimonious political correctness and anti-Americanism of the elites cannot cover up anymore. In this book, Bawer examines the psychological, moral and political angles of Europe's current predicament and its reaction to the threat posed by large unassimilated minorities in its midst.
    The first manifestations of the clash of civilization have been the murders of Van Gogh and Fortuyn, the Madrid bombing, the London bombings, the 2005 riots in France and the uproar about the Danish cartoons in 2006. These are just the beginning of an ominous cultural conflict. The denial of the political and intellectual elites show disturbing similarities to the 1930s.

There is nothing left of classical liberalism in Europe today - the welfare state is a type of soft Leftism based on multiculturalism and moral relativism. What is most disgraceful about the current European mindset is the phoney tolerance, for example the European view of unassimilated minorities as "colourful" but Europe's total refusal to meaningfully integrate these into society. European are happy to dole out welfare money but not prepared to give these people proper employment.

The pieties of multiculturalism obscure a very tenacious ethnocentrism. Bawer points out the demographic reality, the declining birth rate of native Europeans versus the rapid rise in the numbers of Muslim immigrants. European elites are still in denial, even after the murders of Theo Van Gogh and Pim Fortuyn, but there are signs that ordinary people are becoming aware of the threat. The rejection of the proposed European constitution by Dutch and French voters is a welcome sign of this.

Based on personal experience and thorough research, the book makes riveting reading. It is clear that the continent, especially Old Europe, is in deep trouble. The most disturbing scenario would be a repeat of the 1930s, by for example embracing a type of Christian fascism instead of a return to Judeo-Christian roots and true liberalism.

Part of the problem is, Europe does not have a decent Right, except perhaps amongst the libertarian parties of Scandinavia or the Flemish nationalists. The senescent Christian Democrats have accepted the tenets of welfarism. The French and Austrian parties of the right display Fascist tendencies. Thus the welfare state consensus has never been properly challenged except in the UK where Margaret Thatcher positively transformed the country in the 1980s. That is why British society is in a better state today.

For more information on the recent history and the current state of Europe, I recommend Eurabia by Bat Ye-or, The West's Last Chance by Tony Blankly, The West And The Rest by Roger Scruton, The Force Of Reason by Oriana Fallaci, Our Culture: What's Left Of It by Theodore Dalrymple, The Dragons Of Nihilism by Robert Conquest and Menace In Europe by Claire Berlinski.

Thanks. I'll put it on me christmas list - assuming new liebore allow us to keep christmas...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

"We're all doomed, doomed I tell-ya"

Comment

“While Europe Slept: How Radical Islam Is Destroying the West from Within”

It is something the Joe on the Clapham Omnibus has been aware of for some time. It’s just the insular politicians who have ignored all of the warning from the people on the ground.

There is one point that seems consistent while talking with moderate and some near fanatical muslins is that during there higher education they have been told to go to and live in the west use the facilities because it really belongs to them paid for by oil money and it is their duty to convert all to their religion as it is the only way to save the world.
        HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Try "The Sword of the Prophet" by some russian geezer too.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

And have you read

"I hate ******* muslims, me" by Richard Littlejohn, and there's the rest of his portfolio "I hate ******* gays, me", "I don't like darkies very much" and his seminal (ooh err) work "There isn't a wall big enough, life as an outreach worker in a looney left-wing council office"?

I'll get my coat
            Why not?

Comment

The German news was quite interesting this evening as they found a couple of bombs on the trains here. Instead of referring to 'Fundamentalists' or 'Radical' they call them 'Fanatics.' Don't pull punches over here...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Awesome Sci-Fi Quote Competition and Why Not?

"Fortunately for them an alien came through the door instead of her husband"

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
                  "I hate ******* muslims, me" by Richard Littlejohn, and there's the rest of his portfolio "I hate ******* gays, me", "I don't like darkies very much" and his seminal (ooh err) work "There isn't a wall big enough, life as an outreach worker in a looney left-wing council office"?

I'll get my coat
                  Here it is. Thanks for coming.
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                    [url]

Part of the problem is, Europe does not have a decent Right, except perhaps amongst the libertarian parties of Scandinavia or the Flemish nationalists. The senescent Christian Democrats have accepted the tenets of welfarism. The French and Austrian parties of the right display Fascist tendencies. Thus the welfare state consensus has never been properly challenged except in the UK where Margaret Thatcher positively transformed the country in the 1980s. That is why British society is in a better state today.
                    This stuff is interesting particular around the area of centrist european parties to look at the issue objectively and continue to behave reactively in the only way they know i.e. further stateist 'initiatives', regulations and curbs on freedom.

The problem with people putting forward this type of argument si that it tends just to be picked up by those with entrenched rviews on the matter already.

The statement about the Flemish Nationalists being the right kinda right really kills the review for me though. They are probably the slickest of the the extreme right wing parties but this is after a series of new-labour style re-inventions. Their roots are firmly neo-nazi (e.g; in groups aiming to rehabilatate the flemish waffen ss division) and some of their local material would raise eyebrows chez bnp.

Comment

Working...
                    X