PDA

View Full Version : Looks like paying for shopping bags is finally coming in

d000hg
14th September 2013, 13:43
BBC News - Plastic bag charge to be introduced in England (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24088523)

Provided they absolutely promise none of this money goes to the government, or the retailer, I don't really mind this although I wonder if degradable bags might be easier. Or, what about the American approach of just using paper bags?

socialworker
14th September 2013, 13:59
I reckon the US habit of giving paper bags assumes everyone is just walking out to their car. Mind you the only time I have been to the States in 2010, buying stuff at the minimarts, they gave out carrier bags just like here.

doodab
14th September 2013, 14:09
I am a good citizen and have reusable bags in the boot of my car.

bless 'em all
14th September 2013, 14:10
BBC News - Plastic bag charge to be introduced in England (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24088523)

Provided they absolutely promise none of this money goes to the government, or the retailer, I don't really mind this although I wonder if degradable bags might be easier. Or, what about the American approach of just using paper bags?

Over here in Wales we've been paying for bags for two years now. Most of the big retailers cover the cost of the bags and donate any 'profit' on the sale to charities.

A rather poorly worded legislation means that paper bags are also charged @ 5p.

I always have a bag-for-life in the car for any shopping.

I'm sure all of you in England will cope. :smile

stek
14th September 2013, 14:39
In Ireland they're 23 cents.....

AtW
14th September 2013, 15:07
Nevermind the price, it's the need to think how many bags you need BEFORE things get packed :mad

I might just start asking for 100 bags to spend a fiver on just to teach them a lesson :mad

OwlHoot
14th September 2013, 15:14
It's a lot of hot air to keep the Libdems happy, and let them feel they've achieved something.

I reckon it'll be dropped one way or another after the next election.

SueEllen
14th September 2013, 15:15
It's a lot of hot air to keep the Libdems happy, and let them feel they've achieved something.

I reckon it'll be dropped one way or another after the next election.

Just like the smoking ban it won't be dropped.

The reason why is if the other countries in the UK all have it then England will finally get it.

SueEllen
14th September 2013, 15:17
I am a good citizen and have reusable bags in the boot of my car.

:p

When I was at the supermarket earlier I noticed that 1/3 people were using their own bags like I was. The reason most people do it is to prevent their house being cluttered with the damn things.

OwlHoot
14th September 2013, 16:39
:p

When I was at the supermarket earlier I noticed that 1/3 people were using their own bags like I was. The reason most people do it is to prevent their house being cluttered with the damn things.

In central London they're very useful as rubbish bags, although a bit treacherous sometimes what with their holes and tears.

But I'd be a lot happier if it was simply decreed that free shopping bags have to be made of biodegradable plastic.

SimonMac
14th September 2013, 16:46
Does anyone else have a plastic carrier bag just full of other plastic carrier bags?

mudskipper
14th September 2013, 16:48
Does anyone else have a plastic carrier bag just full of other plastic carrier bags?

Does anyone not have one? (Or several?)

SimonMac
14th September 2013, 16:49

My new Plan B, sell then for three pence each

mudskipper
14th September 2013, 16:56
You could knit a plastic bag out of plastic bags.

http://cocoknits.com/img/info_tutorials/plasticbag_eg_01.jpg

BrilloPad
14th September 2013, 17:01
In Switzerland in the 80s all supermarkets had thick paper bags. Why is this country so far behind?

minestrone
14th September 2013, 17:25
I fold them up tightly, tie them up with an elastic band and keep a couple spare in my jacket pocket just in case.

SueEllen
14th September 2013, 17:42

Yep.

Some shops just give them to you.

I actually have no excuse to take carrier bags as I have sufficient quantities of reuseable bags. It's basically for when I don't make a shopping list. :emb If supermarkets charged me like when I've worked abroad then I would diligently ensure I had a shopping list and stick to it.

SueEllen
14th September 2013, 17:43
You could knit a plastic bag out of plastic bags.

http://cocoknits.com/img/info_tutorials/plasticbag_eg_01.jpg

Did this years ago when I was in my late teens/early 20s. I was experimenting with what materials you could crochet.

doodab
14th September 2013, 18:29
Plastic bag tax should be donated to charity

No it shouldn't. That will allow misguided people to feel OK about giving 20p to charity rather than not using them at all, which is what the measure is designed to achieve.

NickFitz
14th September 2013, 18:40
Turns out reusable bags spread disease: The Disgusting Consequences of Plastic-Bag Bans - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-04/the-disgusting-consequences-of-liberal-plastic-bag-bans.html)

They're OK as long as you clean them frequently, but only 3% of people do; and they're even more dangerous if stored in the car, which everybody does.

On the bright side, all supermarkets' giveaway plastic bags have been made of biodegradable plastic for years, and can also be recycled.

ctdctd
14th September 2013, 18:43
Can I print my own with one of these newfangled 3D printer thingys?:tongue

Come to that, can I print my shopping? :D

socialworker
14th September 2013, 18:44

Lots. I give them to the local greengrocer. If they are Waitrose ones it makes her day.

SueEllen
14th September 2013, 19:37
Turns out reusable bags spread disease: The Disgusting Consequences of Plastic-Bag Bans - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-04/the-disgusting-consequences-of-liberal-plastic-bag-bans.html)

This is an economic argument to save jobs.

They're OK as long as you clean them frequently, but only 3% of people do; and they're even more dangerous if stored in the car, which everybody does.

Nope mine aren't stored in my car as I occasionally walk to the supermarket. Some of us don't live or work in the middle of no where.

And the 10p ones rip before they get reused enough any way.

On the bright side, all supermarkets' giveaway plastic bags have been made of biodegradable plastic for years, and can also be recycled.
I think the lib dems etc are fed up of dog walkers using them and slinging them into bushes, trees etc. The bags rip open or are ripped open the poo falls and the bag remains there.

Anyway the retailers don't care it saves them money in the long term.

Old Hack
14th September 2013, 19:58
We've been going to France for years, many, many years. Each time we go shopping, we forget you have to pay for bags, and end up buying environmentally friendly ones off them. We now have around 30 of them. I reckon we'll be fine. They're so robust, I could build a bender with them...

OwlHoot
15th September 2013, 08:16
My new Plan B, sell then for three pence each

Or buy a container load for 5 cents each in America (c.f. article (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-04/the-disgusting-consequences-of-liberal-plastic-bag-bans.html) NickFitz referenced) and sell them for 4 pence here

(Notice from that article how we pay the same pence as they pay cents in the US - Rip off Britain as usual!)

Although SueEllen had a good point about this already being done in some regions of the UK, I still suspect it's mostly about giving the Lib Dems something to announce at their conference, and eventually it'll be quietly dropped, especially as NickFitz says the giveaway bags are biodegradable anyway.

NotAllThere
15th September 2013, 09:51
Paper bags are useless when it rains.

Supermarkets don't give free bags here (except to wrap meat etc.). Paper bags or robust plastic bags are available for not very much. You get used to taking bags with you, and to buying extra when you forget. After several visits to the UK, we tend to use Sainsbury's bags now.

Anonimouse
15th September 2013, 12:03
I don't mind paying for a bag, I do object to paying to advertise for the store. Bags should be plain.

If I forget my bags and have to pay I will turn them inside out.

I thought they were all biodegradable. I too use them as bin bags.

All that will happen is people will start buying bin bags again so there will still be tons of bags in landfill.

VectraMan
15th September 2013, 12:26
When my local Tescos brought in reusable bags a few years ago, they said they were going to stop giving out plastic bags completely after 6 months or so. Which obviously they never did.

Seems like a good idea, but how's it going to work with self service tills?

OwlHoot
15th September 2013, 12:38
Plastic bag tax should be donated to charity
No it shouldn't. That will allow misguided people to feel OK about giving 20p to charity rather than not using them at all, which is what the measure is designed to achieve.

Also, shoppers will be giving to supermarkets the choice of charity, and who's to say those "charitable donations" won't end up as simply a disguised substitute for Government spending.

SueEllen
15th September 2013, 14:13
When my local Tescos brought in reusable bags a few years ago, they said they were going to stop giving out plastic bags completely after 6 months or so. Which obviously they never did.

Seems like a good idea, but how's it going to work with self service tills?

You can already put your own bags on self-service tills but depending on the store it can be a hassle.

For example in Boots you don't need to bag the products and the till isn't bothered, however in Sainsburys or Asda the till goes mad if you don't bag the product, have something in your bag or use a heavier bag like a rucsack which lots of people in cities or who cycle do.

In B&Q and IKEA they don't give free bags out so they aren't bothered if you don't bag items or use your own bag however the tills are shit and are unresponsive.

In Marks and WHS they try and charge you for a bag even if you haven't taken one so if you hit the wrong button you end up paying 5p. Not happened to me but happened to a few people I know.

SueEllen
15th September 2013, 14:17
Also, shoppers will be giving to supermarkets the choice of charity, and who's to say those "charitable donations" won't end up as simply a disguised substitute for Government spending.

Charity donations already are.

The likes of local charties i.e. many food banks, mini-buses for disabled or elderly, and some larger charities i.e. NSPCC do government work for them so are given funding by local and/or central government. When local and central government reduced their spending the charities had to increase their fundraising directly with the public and businesses. However as not all charities fundraise that well loads of local charities have gone up the wall.

MaryPoppins
15th September 2013, 18:43

I don't. Can't bear having anything in the boot.

SueEllen
15th September 2013, 19:58
I don't. Can't bear having anything in the boot.

OCD?

d000hg
15th September 2013, 22:03
I don't mind paying for a bag, I do object to paying to advertise for the store. Bags should be plain.

If I forget my bags and have to pay I will turn them inside out.Good luck doing that with Tesco ones.

I thought they were all biodegradable. I too use them as bin bags.

All that will happen is people will start buying bin bags again so there will still be tons of bags in landfill.That's bad logic. The amount of bags used in bins will stay the same, but typically an average family weekly supermarket shop would use 8-10 bags and they wouldn't use that many in bins per week.

Additionally, for bigger bins they are no use anyway.

When my local Tescos brought in reusable bags a few years ago, they said they were going to stop giving out plastic bags completely after 6 months or so. Which obviously they never did.Ours do ask you if you want bags though, rather than have them out for you to grab.

Seems like a good idea, but how's it going to work with self service tills?Or home delivery... Tesco will take last week's bags back with them, happily accepting ANY carrier bags not just their own. But how to police this...

MaryPoppins
15th September 2013, 22:20
OCD?

Fairly. That and water being left in a kettle, make my teeth itch.

But the bag hygiene thing I think I must have read

NickFitz
15th September 2013, 22:40
Additionally, for bigger bins they are no use anyway.

They are if you cut the bottom off.

TheFaQQer
16th September 2013, 08:09
So, having failed with AV and House of Lords reform, finally Nick Clegg has a policy that he can brag about to the party conference.

d000hg
16th September 2013, 08:27
They are if you cut the bottom off.Our new cleaner has a clever, really simple trick everyone else probably already knows about... keep a few empty carrier bags at the bottom of each bin and then line the bin with another bag. Then when you come to empty the bin, spare bags are to hand without having to find any.

original PM
16th September 2013, 09:02
does this not mean that all the plastic carrier bags I have been hoarding for years n years because we were not allowed to throw them away are now worth something?

surely?

d000hg
16th September 2013, 09:22
Where do you keep the spanners?:confused:

Just asking, like. :eyesA lady does not carry a spanner. She waits for a man to turn up with his tool.

Mich the Tester
16th September 2013, 09:31
A lady does not carry a spanner. She waits for a man to turn up with his tool.

On CUK she waits for some tools and some spanners to turn up and argue over the problem without actually doing anything.

MaryPoppins
16th September 2013, 09:57
A lady does not carry a spanner. She waits for a man to turn up with his tool.

Or tries to change a tyre on an incline in the rain....before calling the man with his tools.

Epiphone
17th September 2013, 12:29
I'll start paying for bags when manufacturers stop wrapping food in four layers of plastic.

SueEllen
17th September 2013, 13:03
Or tries to change a tyre on an incline in the rain....before calling the man with his tools.

Call?!? Call?!?

If you find your tyre flat in a public place a guy appears out of no where and changes it for you in a jiffy.

If you are unlucky you get your hands a bit dirty emptying your car to find the spare.

SueEllen
17th September 2013, 13:05
I'll start paying for bags when manufacturers stop wrapping food in four layers of plastic.

What you are suppose to do at Marks and Waitrose is stand there and remove the extra plastic from goods while you are packing your shopping. Then they have to get rid of it for you. :D

Don't worry about the queue behind you though - well OAPs don't.

Ticktock
17th September 2013, 13:13

No. That's empty rhetoric.

You'll start paying for bags when paying for bags is mandatory and you need a bag. Or are you going to become an audacious thief, a daring cat burglar, the Danny Ocean of Lidl, taking those precious plastic bags for free, one at a time?

MaryPoppins
17th September 2013, 13:19
Call?!? Call?!?

If you find your tyre flat in a public place a guy appears out of no where and changes it for you in a jiffy.

If you are unlucky you get your hands a bit dirty emptying your car to find the spare.

That is not how it went, sadly. I was stuck at the side of a lane in Knutsford. No one stopped :frown

d000hg
17th September 2013, 13:34
I'll start paying for bags when manufacturers stop wrapping food in four layers of plastic.I can't think of anything that comes in 4 layers.

Mich the Tester
17th September 2013, 13:35
That is not how it went, sadly. I was stuck at the side of a lane in Knutsford. No one stopped :frown

Ah, Knutsford, made famous by the 'Luxury Grill Room' in the Top Rank services! Well, 'rank' was a fair description anyway.

Mich the Tester
17th September 2013, 13:37
I can't think of anything that comes in 4 layers.

Sir Ranulph Fiennes having a wet dream?

MaryPoppins
17th September 2013, 13:37
Ah, Knutsford, made famous by the 'Luxury Grill Room' in the Top Rank services! Well, 'rank' was a fair description anyway.

I have no idea what you're on about. I was on my way to a dirty weekend in Nunsmere Hall as I recall. :laugh

Mich the Tester
17th September 2013, 13:40
I have no idea what you're on about. I was on my way to a dirty weekend in Nunsmere Hall as I recall. :laugh

I visited Knutsford services many times in my childhood, as I was transported northwards in the wonder that was a Ford Cortina MkII to visit family in that wild place forebodingly described on motorway signs as 'the North'. The Luxury Grill Room fascinated me as only adults were allowed to go in there, until later it was opened for kids and the 'luxury' aspect was something of an anticlimax.

Mich the Tester
17th September 2013, 13:46

Knutsford Services | Motorway Services Trivia Site (http://www.msatrivia.co.uk/knutsford-services/)

I first met and fell cap-over-the-bridge for Knutsford Service, in the autumn of 1964 when – having just landed a job as a young sales representative with a Birmingham hospital bed manufacturer – I found myself driving a brand new Vauxhall Viva, with £850pa salary and an expense account that funded £1.50 (then one pound, ten shillings), B&B on the Hagley Road, Dormy, Briars, or Norfolk Capital, plus – at nearby Old House At Home Inn, Edgbaston – a 12oz T-bone steak, with an inclusive prawn cocktail starter, the cheeseboard, dessert and coffee for 62.5 pence(then 12 shillings and sixpence. That aside, my biggest and most anticipated thrill then, was to visit the Top Rank Services – both coming and going – at Knutsford, which out-stripped any other such venue at the time. It was always clean, well-administered and the restaurants were of an exceptionally high standard, as were the cafes; all of which were not receptive to patrons who neither behaved nor dressed appropriately. Happy Days, and like the Esso sign at the time, and attendant commercial in which an oriental cartoon caricature sang *Esso Sign Means Happy Motoring* Knutsford Services epitomised just that ! God Bless and keep you Knutsford Services; my being nearly 74 now, and still retaining those happy vibes about the most delightful services venue on the motorway. Gerry George.

Gerry's obviously not seen much of the world, but at least he's happy.

MaryPoppins
17th September 2013, 13:47
I visited Knutsford services many times in my childhood, as I was transported northwards in the wonder that was a Ford Cortina MkII to visit family in that wild place forebodingly described on motorway signs as 'the North'. The Luxury Grill Room fascinated me as only adults were allowed to go in there, until later it was opened for kids and the 'luxury' aspect was something of an anticlimax.

Oh! I do know, then. You must have been reet posh, then. We were never allowed to stop at services on a car journey, unless to use to loo.

Mich the Tester
17th September 2013, 13:51
Oh! I do know, then. You must have been reet posh, then. We were never allowed to stop at services on a car journey, unless to use to loo.

Oh yes, very posh; the Cortina was a 'GL' model, with electric windows not entirely dissimilar to the whooshing doors on Star Trek. Well, quite dissimilar actually, and when I opened them they made a noise that sounded like someone familiar shouting 'shut that bloody window NOW!'

MaryPoppins
17th September 2013, 13:54
Oh yes, very posh; the Cortina was a 'GL' model, with electric windows not entirely dissimilar to the whooshing doors on Star Trek. Well, quite dissimilar actually, and when I opened them they made a noise that sounded like someone familiar shouting 'shut that bloody window NOW!'

Wow.

I was forced to use my foot to slooowly open the rear window manually. Resulted in same shouting noise, though.

Epiphone
18th September 2013, 12:29
No. That's empty rhetoric.

You'll start paying for bags when paying for bags is mandatory and you need a bag. Or are you going to become an audacious thief, a daring cat burglar, the Danny Ocean of Lidl, taking those precious plastic bags for free, one at a time?

No. I'll do what I did when they first trialed this. They give you bags rather than have to put all your shopping back on the shelves.

Epiphone
18th September 2013, 12:30
I can't think of anything that comes in 4 layers.

Off the top of my head a Jaffa cake muffin.

d000hg
18th September 2013, 12:51
Off the top of my head a Jaffa cake muffin.That sounds like 3 things.

vetran
19th September 2013, 14:47
saw this and thought of this thread:

Paying for carrier bags is not exactly new, is it? I have a bag at home that I have been paying for and carrying for years.