• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looks like paying for shopping bags is finally coming in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like paying for shopping bags is finally coming in

BBC News - Plastic bag charge to be introduced in England

Provided they absolutely promise none of this money goes to the government, or the retailer, I don't really mind this although I wonder if degradable bags might be easier. Or, what about the American approach of just using paper bags?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I reckon the US habit of giving paper bags assumes everyone is just walking out to their car. Mind you the only time I have been to the States in 2010, buying stuff at the minimarts, they gave out carrier bags just like here.

Comment

I am a good citizen and have reusable bags in the boot of my car.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        BBC News - Plastic bag charge to be introduced in England

Provided they absolutely promise none of this money goes to the government, or the retailer, I don't really mind this although I wonder if degradable bags might be easier. Or, what about the American approach of just using paper bags?
        Over here in Wales we've been paying for bags for two years now. Most of the big retailers cover the cost of the bags and donate any 'profit' on the sale to charities.

A rather poorly worded legislation means that paper bags are also charged @ 5p.

I always have a bag-for-life in the car for any shopping.

I'm sure all of you in England will cope.

Comment

In Ireland they're 23 cents.....

Comment

Nevermind the price, it's the need to think how many bags you need BEFORE things get packed

I might just start asking for 100 bags to spend a fiver on just to teach them a lesson

Comment

It's a lot of hot air to keep the Libdems happy, and let them feel they've achieved something.

I reckon it'll be dropped one way or another after the next election.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                It's a lot of hot air to keep the Libdems happy, and let them feel they've achieved something.

I reckon it'll be dropped one way or another after the next election.
                Just like the smoking ban it won't be dropped.

The reason why is if the other countries in the UK all have it then England will finally get it.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  I am a good citizen and have reusable bags in the boot of my car.

When I was at the supermarket earlier I noticed that 1/3 people were using their own bags like I was. The reason most people do it is to prevent their house being cluttered with the damn things.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

When I was at the supermarket earlier I noticed that 1/3 people were using their own bags like I was. The reason most people do it is to prevent their house being cluttered with the damn things.
                    In central London they're very useful as rubbish bags, although a bit treacherous sometimes what with their holes and tears.

But I'd be a lot happier if it was simply decreed that free shopping bags have to be made of biodegradable plastic.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X