• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What kind of media company subscription do you have?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of media company subscription do you have?

Evenin all. Introducing myself to the panel. Go easy.

I have an account with Sky. Broadband (which is slow), telly with Family Pack (includes movies but not HD channels) and the sports package. Also this includes a phone line.

This is coming in just shy of £100 a month, more than gas and lecky combined.

Just sitting here planning to watch tonight. All the movies are either really old (Back to the future 1,2,3 - which I have on original VHS box set!!!!, for example) or really cruddy, less than 50% on rotten tomatoes.

Then I find that to be able to watch the same number of football matches I have to take out an additional £12 per month to subscribe to the BT sports channel.

I'm thinking about cancelling the whole lot to be honest, getting plusnet broadband (£6) plus obviously the BT landline rental (£17) plus £6 netflix. Total £29. A £70 saving per month.

Then I have £70 a month to invest in going to the pub when I want to on occasion watch a match.

Anyone else think Sky et al need to up their game or risk losing out to companies like Netflix and LoveFilm and Plusnet?

Originally posted by CourtesyFlush View Post
    Evenin all. Introducing myself to the panel. Go easy.

I have an account with Sky. Broadband (which is slow), telly with Family Pack (includes movies but not HD channels) and the sports package. Also this includes a phone line.

This is coming in just shy of £100 a month, more than gas and lecky combined.

Just sitting here planning to watch tonight. All the movies are either really old (Back to the future 1,2,3 - which I have on original VHS box set!!!!, for example) or really cruddy, less than 50% on rotten tomatoes.

Then I find that to be able to watch the same number of football matches I have to take out an additional £12 per month to subscribe to the BT sports channel.

I'm thinking about cancelling the whole lot to be honest, getting plusnet broadband (£6) plus obviously the BT landline rental (£17) plus £6 netflix. Total £29. A £70 saving per month.

Then I have £70 a month to invest in going to the pub when I want to on occasion watch a match.

Anyone else think Sky et al need to up their game or risk losing out to companies like Netflix and LoveFilm and Plusnet?
    I'd be worried about paying £100 for sky.

We have TV with everything, including 3D and Hd, all packages, for £35 a month. We've a BT phone so the sport is free on there.

Phone Sky and threaten to leave, ask them to reduce it by half. They will.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      I'd be worried about paying £100 for sky.

We have TV with everything, including 3D and Hd, all packages, for £35 a month. We've a BT phone so the sport is free on there.

Phone Sky and threaten to leave, ask them to reduce it by half. They will.
      Which provider please mate?

Comment

Which provider please mate?
        Sky

Comment

Sky

Comment

Just phone them. We had a package that was £70 and before we signed, we said it was too much, could they offer us a better deal. Lad on the phone said 12 month agreement, £35 a month if we sign for 12 months. Easy choice.

If you pay your BT line in full, you only pay the equivalent of 10 months line rental. Some people give money away.

Comment

The films are terrible, I got shot of mine a few months ago, you get 2 new films a week and there is a good chance that one or both is a tulipe rom com or some kids dance off movie.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                The films are terrible, I got shot of mine a few months ago, you get 2 new films a week and there is a good chance that one or both is a tulipe rom com or some kids dance off movie.
                But if I were to get rid of films, I'd save £1 a month... I have kids, it's the best £1 one could spend.

Comment

Just phone them. We had a package that was £70 and before we signed, we said it was too much, could they offer us a better deal. Lad on the phone said 12 month agreement, £35 a month if we sign for 12 months. Easy choice.

If you pay your BT line in full, you only pay the equivalent of 10 months line rental. Some people give money away.
                  So you wanted to leave as the product is terrible and it is too much money so you phone them up and after the call you have signed over 420 quid and you think that is a good deal?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    So you wanted to leave as the product is terrible and it is too much money so you phone them up and after the call you have signed over 420 quid and you think that is a good deal?
                    Nope, that's a tulip deal. However, I was wanting to join, and thought £70 too much. However, £35 for everything, is kind of pretty good value. Especially now with a broken leg. I you can get a good price, it's grand. £70 was too much tho.

Comment

Working...
                    X