• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clever CUKkers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clever CUKkers

Now that sas has admitted he's actually not that clever, I was thinking about who on CUK comes across as being bright.

My shortlist:

NickFitz (obv)
    MTT
    Old Greg
    Zippy

All of them are (or appear to be) what dodgy would dismiss as 'lefties'.

So are the lefties cleverer than righties? Or do my leftie inclinations skew my judgement?

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Now that sas has admitted he's actually not that clever, I was thinking about who on CUK comes across as being bright.

My shortlist:

NickFitz (obv)
    MTT
    Old Greg
    Zippy

All of them are (or appear to be) what dodgy would dismiss as 'lefties'.

So are the lefties cleverer than righties? Or do my leftie inclinations skew my judgement?
    Well it depends on what you define as clever. Are you thinking about Emotional Intelligence or Intelligence quotient and don't claim that Emotional Intelligence isn't visible online. You only need to look at Sas to see that its (in)visible.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I think CM and Churchill are clever. But then if I don't say that Churchill will punch my lights out next time we meet......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I think CM and Churchill are clever.
        You're half right.

And don't forget Faqqer.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Well it depends on what you define as clever. Are you thinking about Emotional Intelligence or Intelligence quotient and don't claim that Emotional Intelligence isn't visible online. You only need to look at Sas to see that its (in)visible.
          Good question. The posters I identified may or may not be maffs geniuses, but I guess they come across as having a good general knowledge and able to construct a coherent argument.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Good question. The posters I identified may or may not be maffs geniuses, but I guess they come across as having a good general knowledge and able to construct a coherent argument.
            Up against most people here you don't need or want a coherent argument just something to pick up on and run with.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Don't forget us ladies!

Comment

I'm only a bit brainy and I guess I've seen a lot of the world through travel and migration, but I'm not a lefty, whatever Dodgy sometimes says. I'm pretty centrist really; I'm a member of Conservatives Abroad, but not very active, and I'm a (again not very active) member of the Dutch D66 party, which is basically a fiscally conservative and socially centrist party, officially allied to the LibDems in the EU, but a bit to the right of them on economic issues and almost libertarian on individual liberty. D66 do sometimes get called 'lefties' here in NL, but only really by Geert Wilders and his paranoid wingnuts party. Within the Conservatives I'm closer to Ken Clarke than to Norman Tebbit on most issues, including the EU.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, D66 has a larger share of people with university degrees or higher level qualifications than any other party in parliament, which unfortunately leads to the accusation of being 'elitist', when it's actually a bunch of fairly clever people who've thought a lot about things and don't really subscribe to tired old left/right divisions.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Up against most people here you don't need or want a coherent argument just something to pick up on and run with.
                  But running with it convincingly is in itself a fine craft.

Comment

I'm not a clever Cukker,
                    I'm a clever Cukker's Son,
                    And I only post on CUK
                    Till the clever Cukkers come.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X