• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bedroom Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bedroom Tax

So, if you get housing benefit and you have unused bedrooms in your rented property your benefit is reduced to encourage you to downsize.

Sounds fair enough to me given the housing shortAge.

However, a lot of people are up in arms over this. I havdntt heard the other side of the story. What's their beef?

Originally posted by Chunk View Post
    So, if you get housing benefit and you have unused bedrooms in your rented property your benefit is reduced to encourage you to downsize.

However, a lot of people are up in arms over this. I havdntt heard the other side of the story. What's their beef?
    I thought this was gonna be about NLyUK taking her 15% off the top
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Its fine in London where many available properties are small flats.

Up north most cheap rentals are 2/3 bedroom older terrace houses. The smaller flats they want people to move to either don't exist or are modern and more expensive to rent.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I thought this was gonna be about NLyUK taking her 15% off the top
        I see you get her maximum frequent usage discount.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Its fine in London where many available properties are small flats.

Up north most cheap rentals are 2/3 bedroom older terrace houses. The smaller flats they want people to move to either don't exist or are modern and more expensive to rent.
          Oh ok. Sounds like a poorly thought through policy then.

Comment

What's their beef?
            It only works where there are houses / flats to move into. If there aren't, then you can't downsize unless you move out of the area (and possibly not even then).

Thatcher allowed the sale of council houses, but there has been no replacement of the stock - even now, Osborne won't let councils reinvest the money from property sales into new housing stock.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

A lot of disabled people are getting stiffed as the special care homes they built for them had an extra room so they have no downsize options.

Typical Tories, a good idea in theory that has just not been thought through and justifiably pisses some people off and creates a point of argument to the people it should be 'taxing'.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Is that true? Are people being forced to vacate larger council house properties without being re-housed?
                And when you say more expensive, not at market rates, certainly.

It's this whole entitlement culture that's wrong IMO.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

The charge, which was perfectly reasonable as a stick to move single grannies out of desperately needed 4 bedroom houses because 'its my home' is applied whether the council can supply a smaller home or not. Plus partial usage isn't counted.

1. You have a 4 bedroom house the kids leave home and you ask for a flat the council doesn't have one they still charge you for the three spare bedrooms.
                  2. if you have a 2 bedroom flat and the wife leaves you taking the kids then you get charged for the spare room even if the kids stay 3 days a week.
                  3. You wife is sick and you have all her medical equipment (gas bottles, tank or hospital bed) in the spare bedroom they charge you.
                  4. you are between eligibilities, e.g. you have a 15 yr old daughter in a separate bedroom to a younger sister who would be due her own bedroom under the rules in a few months. They charge.

it was supposed to be a stick to move house hoggers that refused to move when their situation had changed but its being applied to people who are really in need.

its because no politician has the balls to make all council tenancies fixed term say 2 years and give the council a right to move people to smaller houses or withdraw council support where tenants no longer need it.

Yes Bob Crowe on £145,000 with a council house and subsidised rent I'm talking about you!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Is that true? Are people being forced to vacate larger council house properties without being re-housed?
                    Yes, it's true. If a smaller property exists, you could apply for it. Most of the time, a smaller property won't exist/be available in the area. People aren't being 'forced' to vacate housing. They're to pay a 'tax' for staying in the larger property.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X