• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I wonder why ?: More Britons target foreign move

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5237236.stm

"More British people than ever before want to turn dreams of a foreign life into reality, a poll for the BBC suggests.
    About 1,000 people were questioned for the survey and a majority said they had considered emigrating, little change from a similar 2003 poll.

However, the number hoping to move in the near future has almost doubled.

"

Milan.

"Some 12% said they did not like what the UK had become while one in 10 said they already had friends or family overseas."

It's because we don't follow Sharia law, and all those lovely new Brits want to go and fight our army in Iraq and Afghanistan. Or marry an illiterate woman from their home village. Then come back with their extended family.

Simple really.
    Last edited by mcquiggd; 3 August 2006, 06:41.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

The answer is in the article:

When asked why they would go, the most important reasons were a better quality of life, better weather and a feeling that the UK is too expensive.

Some 12% said they did not like what the UK had become while one in 10 said they already had friends or family overseas.
      Sums up why I would imagine people would want to leave, times have changed, airfares are cheap and people want different things in life and have different expectations than maybe they had a generation ago.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Some 12% said they did not like what the UK had become

Nothing to do with cheaper flights, wanting different lifestyles. People are sick to death of this country and what it is becoming.

Comment

Great survey. One of the options was clearly not what people were actually thinking, but a PC comment straight out of the do-gooders handbook.

If there were options saying, "fed up of immigration", "fed up of anti-social behaviour", "fed up of the victims of crime being the victims of justic", I wonder how many people would have ticked those boxes?

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt

Nothing to do with cheaper flights, wanting different lifestyles. People are sick to death of this country and what it is becoming.
            And you speak for them all do you? I personally know bucketloads of people who've emigrated from the UK (Given I spent 12 years OS, and lived in three countries, that's pretty natural) and not a single one left because of 'what the uk had become'. For most it's the weather/lifestyle. This survey states as I would have expected that the majority left for these reason's. It's why I did when I went.

I don't pretened to know why the 12% who say it's because of what the UK has become, but they might be in for a shock when they do leave. Thngs aren't so very different in most of the countries they're emmigrating too, and in some respects can be much worse.

PS. Cheap flights just means the world has become a much smaller place, so what seemed like a scarily expensive undertaking and the 'trip of a lifetime' these days isn't such a big thing at all. You can catch a plane and be in most of Europe for less money and in less time than it will take/cost you to get a train from London to Glasgow. Clearly this changes people's perspective on living overseas.
            Last edited by snaw; 3 August 2006, 08:34.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
              And you speak for them all do you? I personally know bucketloads of people who've emigrated from the UK (Given I spent 12 years OS, and lived in three countries, that's pretty natural) and not a single one left because of 'what the uk had become'. For most it's the weather/lifestyle. This survey states as I would have expected that the majority left for these reason's. It's why I did when I went.

I don't pretened to know why the 12% who say it's because of what the UK has become, but they might be in for a shock when they do leave. Thngs aren't so very different in most of the countries they're emmigrating too, and in some respects can be much worse.
              Who said I speak for all of them? I was merely reiterating the statistics quoted in light of your remark that 'most' people leave for weather/lifestyle. Obviously disillusionment is a fairly major reason as well. IMHO opinion (and it is merely an opinion) there is a great deal of bad feeling brewing in the UK at the moment - there are many reasons for it and I believe that many have been caused by NL

Comment

Who said I speak for all of them? I was merely reiterating the statistics quoted in light of your remark that 'most' people leave for weather/lifestyle. Obviously disillusionment is a fairly major reason as well. IMHO opinion (and it is merely an opinion) there is a great deal of bad feeling brewing in the UK at the moment - there are many reasons for it and I believe that many have been caused by NL
                I think you want to go back a rereads what the survey said, and what you replied.

It states:

When asked why they would go, the most important reasons were a better quality of life, better weather and a feeling that the UK is too expensive.
                I agreed with this finding. You stated :

That too me is a pretty sweeping generalisation and assumption about why people choose to move overseas, and in my experience simply not true. The topic of why you left the UK is pretty much the single most common conversation you'll ever hear expats discuss. I don't recall a single one where people said the reason they left was because of what the UK was becoming/has become.

I'm sure some people do leave for that reason, but as I said they'll very quickly be dispelled of their illusions once they arrive in their chosen destination, and I guess (My turn for assumption) they're the ones who spend their whole time whinging about their new host country and leave pretty shortly afterwards.

Comment

So in fact the vast majority, 88%, are leaving for other reasons, not because of what the UK has become. Amazing how you wilfully force the stats to match your opinion.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

I think the other 88% are going because they think Britain is getting too good, and they want to make room for others to enjoy the delight.

How very charitable of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X