• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This Can't End Well

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Can't End Well

In April I had a coil spring replaced in my car at garage A.

It's having some more work done today in garage B.

Garage B reckon the coil spring is either the wrong one or has been fitted wrong and will write a report for me.

So one of two things will happen. Garage A will say "garage B are right. We'll put that right straight away". Or they'll say "garage B is talking a load of rubbish. We're doing nowt". And I'm left with either a wrong/poorly fitted part or a niggling doubt.

What do the panel think will happen? Place your bets.

I would have thought it was pretty obvious if this was wrong or right and won't leave garage A with a leg to stand on. I think if you stick to your guns and be happy to threaten them with legal action (after researching it so you don't sound like you don't know what you are talking about) then you should get it sorted.

Question I would have is do you want garage A doing the work bearing in mind they are pissed off with you. Depends on if garage A is bit set up or a dealer. if it is a one man band I would be worried they don't get their revenge somehow. Might get the spring sorted and find your sump plug drops out a few miles later.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
      In April I had a coil spring replaced in my car at garage A.

It's having some more work done today in garage B.

Garage B reckon the coil spring is either the wrong one or has been fitted wrong and will write a report for me.

So one of two things will happen. Garage A will say "garage B are right. We'll put that right straight away". Or they'll say "garage B is talking a load of rubbish. We're doing nowt". And I'm left with either a wrong/poorly fitted part or a niggling doubt.

What do the panel think will happen? Place your bets.
      You just need to let them know who's boss.

What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        You just need to let them know who's boss.
        One thing which does amuse me about modern life is how it tends to be the places with the worst customer service who have all the "please don't abuse the staff" posters
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          One thing which does amuse me about modern life is how it tends to be the places with the worst customer service who have all the "please don't abuse the staff" posters
          yep like the nhs

Comment

If Garage A kicks up a fuss get an independent report from the AA or RAC if you are a member to remove all doubt
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I would have thought it was pretty obvious if this was wrong or right and won't leave garage A with a leg to stand on. I think if you stick to your guns and be happy to threaten them with legal action (after researching it so you don't sound like you don't know what you are talking about) then you should get it sorted.
              I know bit about cars and what the spring does etc. Haven't been able to get photos 'cause I haven't got courtesy car today to get back down there. I'll have to make sure the report spells out exactly what's wrong with it.

Question I would have is do you want garage A doing the work bearing in mind they are pissed off with you. Depends on if garage A is bit set up or a dealer. if it is a one man band I would be worried they don't get their revenge somehow. Might get the spring sorted and find your sump plug drops out a few miles later.
              It's franchised dealer so not massive but not a back street one-man band. Sump plug better not drop out. It's the sump that's getting replaced!

Comment

Get garage B to do the report but not to do any work

Then write to Garage A including the report & ask for their response

Contractually you have to offer Garage A the opportunity to put right at their cost or prove otherwise.

If they say no (in writing) then take to garage B get the work done & take Garage A to the small claims court.
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  If Garage A kicks up a fuss get an independent report from the AA or RAC if you are a member to remove all doubt
                  Good idea, I thought of taking it to another (3rd) garage if garage A kicks up a fuss. Used to be in the RAC but Ford give you breakdown cover now with a service so haven't needed to be a member for a few years.

Put it this way, if I end up having two main dealer reports saying the same thing garage A can pay for it fixing or I reckon the small claims court wouldn't take too long to rule in my favour

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                    Get garage B to do the report but not to do any work

Then write to Garage A including the report & ask for their response

Contractually you have to offer Garage A the opportunity to put right at their cost or prove otherwise.

If they say no (in writing) then take to garage B get the work done & take Garage A to the small claims court.
                    Good advice. They're not too far away so if I get it back before 6pm I'll have a walk in and a chat. Better to start off by me being nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X