• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US Fed - Tapering - Anyone GAS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Fed - Tapering - Anyone GAS?

Potentially very large potential market moves due around 7 PM tonight.

Anyone interested? Gold/silver people?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Any reason we shouldn't just think WGAS ?
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
      Any reason we shouldn't just think WGAS ?
      That's my question. I currently GAS because I have an open trade that will be affected if it is still open. If it is closed by 7PM I will no longer GAS.

Some people like to discuss gold prices - they will most probably GAS about this tapering announcement.
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

There's a good chance this will be a non-event IMHO, unless they do nothing and that is coupled with a dovish press conference or they do something unexpected and taper by 20B plus and make no revisions to forward guidance. My guess would be a small increment, perhaps 10-15B (largely priced in), coupled with an altered unemployment target as a dovish counter. They're looking to move away from QE, which has had mixed effects at best, and strengthen forward guidance, I reckon. Of course, you can never be 100% sure with the markets, and they may throw a taper tantrum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

Anyone interested? Gold/silver people?
          GBP is up against USD

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            GBP is up against USD
            Yup A couple of months ago it looked to be heading strongly south. Hard to feel too bad though, as the recent moves have been more fundamental than sentimental. Markets aren't really buying the Bank's forecast of unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              There's a good chance this will be a non-event IMHO, unless they do nothing and that is coupled with a dovish press conference or they do something unexpected and taper by 20B plus and make no revisions to forward guidance. My guess would be a small increment, perhaps 10-15B (largely priced in), coupled with an altered unemployment target as a dovish counter. They're looking to move away from QE, which has had mixed effects at best, and strengthen forward guidance, I reckon. Of course, you can never be 100% sure with the markets, and they may throw a taper tantrum.
              I should use my BBG feed to get information like this, as opposed to flashing up the latest football news. Of course, I still have a couple of fancy graphs showing that make me look like I ought to know things. Problem with the markets is, there is no use in following them for a week here and a week there - it's all or nothing IMO. I can't do all, so I go with nothing. Plus if I want a tip I just ask one of the research guys for some price-sensitive but very public information. Two years ago I was told to go in for RR and EXPN and they rocketed. I understood the RR one, the EXPN was merely a punt based on somewhere better-informed than I was in. That was really the same as gambling, but the tax authorities don't see that and still taxed me on my gains. Someone should create PacMan for bloomberg.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                I'm sure there is a name for such a grammatical error as this but can't for the life of me remember it... senility setting in
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  I'm sure there is a name for such a grammatical error as this but can't for the life of me remember it... senility setting in
                  There are some daily mash T-shirts available on the topic as well:

My particular favourite:

The Daily Mash | More T Vicar

Comment

I give a tulip.

I'm long gold, EURUSD, FTSE100, AUDUSD.

Comment

Working...
                    X