• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Systems down!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Systems down!

Clientco IT is in a major tizzy. A warroom has been set up. The bridge is open. Spock is checking sensors.

They deployed a number of changes to one of our systems, one of them was a simple 'add new field to form, rename label on old field to something else and rename label on new field to old label on other field'.

Should be simple. No idiot writes integration code checking the label name of fields on a form right?

So as they have rescinded my administration access to the dev/production instance to check code because of SOX, to make sure I wrote a lengthy note in my business request that the development team should ensure that the renaming of a field does not impact any other systems & they need to ensure that there is no impact mainly to the external support system.

It's gone down & this change is the culprit and 5 hours later but they still don't know exactly why.

Schadenfreude?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

New fieldname conflicts with another fieldname from a different table, so the underlying select now has an ambiguous column name?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      New fieldname conflicts with another fieldname from a different table, so the underlying select now has an ambiguous column name?
      It's not the column name as in the database, it's the text label on the form!

The new database field name has a u_ in front of it though, so they think it' either the label (which is how the platform can work) or someone used a *name* on the integration.

Looking forward for the RCA as everyone is looking at each other for why nobody tested it when it had been explicitly written down by the business as a possible gotcha.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I had a client who when told their data wasn't clean enough to get into the database, as the triggers were catching the iffy data, ordered the triggers to be turned off so they could get the data in.

It had other triggers which copied the data into archive tables too if it was manipulated, which, later on, would be used to roll-back on errors.

3 years worth of work cleaning it all up.

Now that was some meeting when that came out into the open

Comment

I think your only rescue might be to call up Suity.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Looking forward for the RCA as everyone is looking at each other for why nobody tested it when it had been explicitly written down by the business as a possible gotcha.
            Don't you have a change control doc? Who signed off the testing?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Don't you have a change control doc? Who signed off the testing?
              Not me guv.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                I ain't gettin' on no plane with that crazy fool.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Busy, sod off.

HTH
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Hawd on...

The forms fields have variable names and they are correct but it is the on screen text labels beside the fields are wrong and that is killing the system?

Jesus ****!

Comment

Working...
                    X