• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stalinism at Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalinism at Work

You know where I work so I'm not going to repeat myself (you never know...)

Yesterday a colleague of mine found himself in trouble because somebody overheard him talking to Indians about curry. I think he was asking their opinion on the curry in the canteen compared to the ones their wives make for them every day.

So they rolled out that old chestnut about how offensive it is to make assumptions based on somebody's ethnicity.

FFS! People make assumptions all the time - it's the way of the world. When I was in Italy recently several people asked me if I eat fish and chips. Was I offended? No. Of course not.

Anyhow, I have never, in my entire life, met an Indian who doesn't eat curry on a daily basis.

Originally posted by Chunk View Post

Anyhow, I have never, in my entire life, met an Indian who doesn't eat curry on a daily basis.
    I've met a few who eat curry on an hourly basis; does that count?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yesterday a colleague of mine found himself in trouble because somebody overheard him talking to Indians about curry. I think he was asking their opinion on the curry in the canteen compared to the ones their wives make for them every day.

So they rolled out that old chestnut about how offensive it is to make assumptions based on somebody's ethnicity.

FFS! People make assumptions all the time - it's the way of the world. When I was in Italy recently several people asked me if I eat fish and chips. Was I offended? No. Of course not.

An African lady called Betty came into the work canteen yesterday and asked "Is there any chicken on the menu?"

I said " No black Betty, it's ham or lamb."

Comment

Rubbish made up story.

NEXT.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Was stalinism big on preventing racism?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            Rubbish made up story.

NEXT.
            + 1 , People just wake up with stories from their head! Grow up OP!

Comment

I was invited to sit in on a permie interview several years ago, and to make small talk with the applicant before the start I asked him if he'd had far to come. Can you imagine anything more innocuous? I mean isn't that what the Queen asks to put people at their ease?

But at that moment in swept the interviewer, who heard my question and immediately hurried me out of the room to explain that I'd committed a ghastly feux pas, and I was banished from interviews thereafter.

It turns out that in interviewing circles these days, asking candidates about their journey is as bad as inquiring whether they abuse young boys, because there's the fear they may sue you for being prejudiced against people who have further to commute!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                Rubbish made up story.

NEXT.
                Not so I'm afraid..

Comment

Not so I'm afraid

Comment

Not so I'm afraid..
                    Not so I'm afraid
                    No need to be so afraid.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X