• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Makes me sick

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes me sick

Lazy, lazy, lazy copy and paste architecture.

BBC News - Stirling Prize: Newhall Be

And the architect even manages to twist the knife a bit

Brooks has packed her homes even tighter. Original planning permission was for 76 homes, but by halving the gardens and adding roof gardens to replace the land lost, she has shoehorned in another eight.
    Coffee's for closers

I went to Harlow once. It's tulip.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I went to Harlow once. Now it's even more tulip.
      FTFY

one and a half parking spaces, no space for wheelie bins, workmanship is crocus.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Set the scene first.

There are lots of us that need homes. So the choice is flats and high rises or smaller houses that sprawl. Bigger houses are not going to happen because planners are arses and developers want more money, so I don't think there is much in the way of commodity architecture to suit the masses and this is something different to be applauded. I wish that they would adopt something like this in our village the crap drossy new builds that the plebes have to live in are a true eyesore...

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          crocus
          This is a feature of the swear filter I was previously unaware of. Can someone enlighten me?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            Set the scene first.

There are lots of us that need homes. So the choice is flats and high rises or smaller houses that sprawl. Bigger houses are not going to happen because planners are arses and developers want more money, so I don't think there is much in the way of commodity architecture to suit the masses and this is something different to be applauded. I wish that they would adopt something like this in our village the crap drossy new builds that the plebes have to live in are a true eyesore...
            wait 10 years and the "green space" will have disappeared too:
            Houses at Newhall are high in density, but the communal green spaces are generous - about 40% of the area.
            Give it 10 years and those large “green spaces” will be sold off for more boxes to be crammed in

Instead of cramming as many houses together as possible surely they could spread them out a bit and give the occupants some sort of privacy.

There has been a trend over the past 10-20 years of trying to replicate the town house in the country and trying to sell that as something “aspirational”. The result is generally pokey little hovels with no room for expansion even though the development is surrounded by wide open space.
            If I wanted to hear someone elses tulipty music at all hours I’d move to Camden.

Nice streets in the country usually have 2 main attributes: Detached or semi-detached houses and individuality, no two buildings look the same

What they should do is to try and design a modern affordable country dwelling which actually embraces, rather than turns it back on, the environment in which it is being built. Put the houses in the open space, don’t segregate the two.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

This is a feature of the swear filter I was previously unaware of. Can someone enlighten me?
              If you weren’t such a daffodil you would understand!
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Just manually extending a theme.

If Tulip is a swearword, crocus is something smaller and less dramatic.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  Set the scene first.

still not enough parking spaces or space for wheelie bins, the workmanship is still poor. Timber cladding whilst popular with Architects isn't so good long term unless properly maintained.

These are basics!

The gardens are poky and had decking.

The open plan gives no privacy so either the whole family do the same thing or they compete for the peace & quiet The bedrooms did seem fairly light, but if you are going to sleep in them that may not be so good, I liked the balcony but not the 'door with a fence'

Not sure why they didn't put a window in the roof so you can enjoy the sky view.

There didn't seem to be anything green about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    wait 10 years and the "green space" will have disappeared too:

Nice streets in the country usually have 2 main attributes: Detached or semi-detached houses and individuality, no two buildings look the same

What they should do is to try and design a modern affordable country dwelling which actually embraces, rather than turns it back on, the environment in which it is being built. Put the houses in the open space, don’t segregate the two.
                    Its not always the developers fault. In our village (tries not to laugh too hard) the local land owner wanted to build thirty fairly large houses with proper gardens etc even offered self build plots. But the nimby ******* morons got their placards out and got the plan turned down.

So now he has handed the lot over to a planning consultancy and the first thing they did was restructure the site for 80 houses to cover the cost of planning and the fight with the locals

Also the planning authorities have been given higher targets to meet for housing so if someone comes to them with an idea to build 30 nice executive homes they will more or less say no you are not building enough houses so sort it out...

I'd like to see the insides of those homes it would be interesting to see how they have used the space.

The pre war streets that you like have developed that way because people were sold plots over decades. The Duchy of Cornwall estate have built a few estates in the west country they are all different and odd sizes but they still look crap.

At least these places look different

Comment

Working...
                    X