• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another good one from M$ ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another good one from M$ ...

http://www.redmondmag.com/news/artic...torialsid=7672

Microsoft's New Voice Recognition Software Suffers Public Glitch

Microsoft Corp. was hoping new voice-recognition software would impress an auditorium full of financial analysts, but a glitch turned the demonstration into a bit of an embarrassment.

The trouble began when Shanen Boettcher, a member of the team working on the new version of the Windows operating system, gave his first voice command.

Instead of typing, "Dear mom," as Boettcher had instructed, the computer spurted out: "Dear aunt."

After the first round of chuckles, Boettcher said "Fix aunt," but "let's set" appeared on the screen.

"Delete that," he said -- three times -- to no avail before suggesting that an echo in the room was foiling the presentation.

The loudest laughs came after he told the computer to "select all," which prompted it to finish the sentence it had started with the words: "so double the killer delete select all."

The rest is silence...

Voice recognition is tulipe. I bought one of the better high end software systems a while ago and spent hours training it to my voice using a proper headset and speech microphone in a completely silent room.

Needless to say, the whole lot is in a drawer somewhere gathering dust.

Comment

True programmers never have anyone to speak to, so this function of their head is lesser developed than their lighting fast hands.

hth

threaded.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        Voice recognition is tulipe. I bought one of the better high end software systems a while ago and spent hours training it to my voice using a proper headset and speech microphone in a completely silent room.

Needless to say, the whole lot is in a drawer somewhere gathering dust.
        So you don't want to buy my set then...?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          True programmers never have anyone to speak to
          You mean propeller-head programmers who struggle to interact with the business and always fail to make a positive impression at blue chips?

Comment

Actually MS Voice Command for PocketPC is pretty darn good - I used it to control a PDA / Phone when the touchscreen was damaged. No training required at all.
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
              You mean propeller-head programmers who struggle to interact with the business and always fail to make a positive impression at blue chips?
              Yeah. I mean those hippy types with very long hair and smelly (allegedly) bodies: they consider it bad to charge for work and insist on using open sauce software.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                . . . they consider it bad to charge for work and insist on using open sauce software.
                Well, it allows them to ketchup with the M$ guys.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                X