• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC targets landlords over unpaid tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would seem HMRC are currently on the war path at the moment and now have landlords in their sights:

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    It would seem HMRC are currently on the war path at the moment and now have landlords in their sights:

Well they need to make up for all the tax that they are not collecting from the multi nationals init?

Comment

I wonder if they'll go after people on sites like sparerooms as many of them must be going over the limit of the rent a room scheme, or is just traditional landlords ?
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Another amnesty? In my experience people need to be VERY careful about HMRC amnesty offers as half the time they aren't much better, if any better at all, than declaring your "mistake" under normal rules.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          I wonder if they'll go after people on sites like sparerooms as many of them must be going over the limit of the rent a room scheme, or is just traditional landlords ?
          Out of interest, what _are_ the limits of the rent a room scheme?

I'm interested because the owner of the house where I lodge during the week is probably covered by that, or assumes he is, although he lets a couple of rooms and two nissen hut type thingies in his (large) garden - I hardly ever see him or the other tenants, which is nice.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I'm interested because the owner of the house where I lodge during the week is probably covered by that, or assumes he is, although he lets a couple of rooms and two nissen hut type thingies in his (large) garden - I hardly ever see him or the other tenants, which is nice.
            working in Slough then?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

£4,250 tax free if you rent out a furnished room in your house, or half that if you share the income with someone else.

If there are costs involved and you make a loss you can just enter it as normal rental income on your tax return instead.
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

HMRC go after tax evaders! Disgrace! Why don't they stick with hassling tax avoiders.

Comment

Start here please

Prime Minister David Cameron rents out home for up to £72k a year | Mail Online

Comment

What's his monthly rent on 10 Downing Street?

His house contents insurance must be pretty low....

Comment

Working...
                    X