• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which impractical car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which impractical car?

It is time to buy an impractical car, will be doing 12k pa but this is going to be one of those 'Contractor Lifestyle' purchases. Heck I'm young with very few responsibilities.

I now have a choice:

2006 Porsche Cayman S, fitted with PASM and chrono. 50k miles.

2006 350Z GT Coupe.

They're seen as being in different leagues I know but I'm a fan of both, TCO of Cayman will be higher with more paranoia of things breaking although it is nicer place to sit in than the 350Z in general.

Does the audience have an opinion?

Oh no, not another one.
    The only hope is that the dull pedant doesn't see it ...
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by IRMe View Post
      2006 Porsche Cayman S, fitted with PASM and chrono. 50k miles.
      Wait until 2020 and get a much nicer 2014 model -

2014 Porsche Cayman S Review - Autoblog

Comment

As an owner of a 350Z Roadster for the last 4 years it's the Zed without a shadow of a doubt.

3.5L V6 sounds great rumbling around at low revs an even better when giving it the berries. The Porche is probably more refined and round a track comes out better but so depends on what you are really after. I am an engine man and went for the sound of the car. 350Z appears almost uncivilised next to the Porsche. Even the starter motor on the Zed sounds great. I can't think of the word for it but it is like am muscle car in a sports body rather than the Porsche which does what it should very well but very quietly.

I personally am not a fan of the Porsche look either. Too many models look too similar for me and people in older ones make me think they are trying to be something they haven't quite reached yet. Zed is just a nice solid piece of kit.

Mine has 80k on it now and it's due a new clutch (gulp) and they tend to break a weld on the pipe coming in to the backbox but a Nissan dealer will know you can just weld a sleeve on rather than replace the whole system. Apart from that not a hiccup in 4 years.

If you do go for the Zed try and get one that is 07 onwards (I think). Bulge in the bonnet is much better looking than the two stripe indents. Should get a decent low mileage one starting at 10k as well so cheap as chips.

I would also suggest the Roadster. Nothing better than getting the hood down and listening to that engine at full wail.

If you want to try to look good in a car get the Porsche. If you want a solid car to enjoy every mile you drive it get the Zed and go on holiday with the spare cash!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          As an owner of a 350Z Roadster for the last 4 years it's the Zed without a shadow of a doubt.

3.5L V6 sounds great rumbling around at low revs an even better when giving it the berries. The Porche is probably more refined and round a track comes out better but so depends on what you are really after. I am an engine man and went for the sound of the car. 350Z appears almost uncivilised next to the Porsche. Even the starter motor on the Zed sounds great. I can't think of the word for it but it is like am muscle car in a sports body rather than the Porsche which does what it should very well but very quietly.

I personally am not a fan of the Porsche look either. Too many models look too similar for me and people in older ones make me think they are trying to be something they haven't quite reached yet. Zed is just a nice solid piece of kit.

Should get a decent low mileage one starting at 10k as well so cheap as chips.

If you want to try to look good in a car get the Porsche. If you want a solid car to enjoy every mile you drive it get the Zed and go on holiday with the spare cash!
          I agree with all of the above.

And the Z is fun and safe on track days.
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

For me, it would be the Porker, any day...

I have run a Porker for the past 6 years - arguably, its been exceptionally reliable and only consumables, such as tyres, fluids and filters have required replacement. Annual servicing has been £150 for minors and £480 for majors (1 each every second year, alternating).

Sure, there is a certain amount of badge snobbery around, but the only way to answer for yourself is to drive both on an extended test (hire one of each for a weekend?). See which one you feel happier to be in?

For me, the Nissan's interior is the let down - mechanically tremendous cars, though?
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Wait until 2020 and get a much nicer 2014 model -

2014 Porsche Cayman S Review - Autoblog

I have never seen the point of buying such a car unless you can take the roof off it.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                I have never seen the point of buying such a car unless you can take the roof off it.
                Amen to that.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sorry but the Nissan is heavy nosed and slow witted.

Nasty engine. Noisy but not in a good way, unrefined and tacky.

Why would you want one?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Mine has 80k on it now and it's due a new clutch (gulp) and they tend to break a weld on the pipe coming in to the backbox but a Nissan dealer will know you can just weld a sleeve on rather than replace the whole system. Apart from that not a hiccup in 4 years.

If you do go for the Zed try and get one that is 07 onwards (I think). Bulge in the bonnet is much better looking than the two stripe indents. Should get a decent low mileage one starting at 10k as well so cheap as chips.

I would also suggest the Roadster. Nothing better than getting the hood down and listening to that engine at full wail.

WNLUKS

Had one for 4 years, until I realised it wasn't getting used enough now that I am working in London.

Defo the Z.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X