• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Working in Hong Kong for a UK company - working visa needed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Working in Hong Kong for a UK company - working visa needed?

So if I wanted to live in Hong Kong for a while and had some work (say a 3 month programming job that I could do with a laptop and skype) given to me by a UK company which required zero interaction with any Hong Kong companies, would I still need a work visa for Hong Kong? My mind says no but can't help feeling I would need something.

Anyone have any experience?

You will probably get a more sensible answer in the professional forums. General is more for posters to demonstrate their intelligence by insulting other posters.

Comment

Where are you physically doing the work? Do you require a visa to work there?

Sounds like "Hong Kong" and "Yes" to me. If not, then you would get lots more people in any country that they want to live in, remotely working for overseas companies.

Hong Kong immigration / tax may be different, though.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Where are you physically doing the work? Do you require a visa to work there?

Sounds like "Hong Kong" and "Yes" to me. If not, then you would get lots more people in any country that they want to live in, remotely working for overseas companies.

Hong Kong immigration / tax may be different, though.
        I'm physically doing the work in Hong Kong although I don't interact with any Hong Kong companies, all I need is an internet connection. The work is given to me in the UK. The work would be for a UK-hosted web site.

Comment

Originally posted by mekondelta View Post
          I'm physically doing the work in Hong Kong although I don't interact with any Hong Kong companies, all I need is an internet connection. The work is given to me in the UK. The work would be for a UK-hosted web site.
          If you were doing the work the other way round (working for an HK company, based in the UK) then you would need to be eligible to work in the UK to do the work.

I'd guess that HK is the same, but you'd need to ask an HK immigration lawyer.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
          X