• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear™: Interest Rates Up!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear™: Interest Rates Up!

Just heard on the news... 4.75%

Will provide link shortly...
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

UK interest rates raised to 4.75%

The Bank of England has increased interest rates by a quarter of a percentage point to 4.75% in an effort to keep inflation in check.

The move marks the first rise in the cost of borrowing for 11 months.

Experts were divided over whether the Bank's Monetary Policy Committee would move sooner or later to raise rates.

Inflation rose to 2.5% in June - above the government's 2% target - and there are fears that rising energy bills could force consumer prices up further.

About bloody time. These low interest rates are killers for us savers with no debt. Expect lots of foot dragging over retail interest rates going up though.

Comment

We'll be at 6% by Spring '07.

You heard it here first.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB

You heard it here first.
        Rock on the good times!

Comment

We're doomed!
          Boom boom boom boom
          A-haw haw haw haw
          Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
          Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

I'm more interested now than I was before. Tell me more.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB

You heard it here first.
              Do you really think so, DaveB? That's five hikes in not many more months which would beg the question as to why rates have been pegged for so long.

In any case, I'm sure the government will act decisively by adding DVD players and flash memory cards to the basket of standard goods and removing gas and petrol. There - problem solved!

Comment

Couldn't care less about interest rate rise, I've got a fixed rate mortgage for the next two years
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp
                  Couldn't care less about interest rate rise, I've got a fixed rate mortgage for the next two years
                  How about the following 23 years?

Compared to last years fixed rate have generally gone up from 4.7ish% to 5.5ish% already.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp
                    I've got a fixed rate mortgage for the next two years
                    I thought this was a contractors' board?

Comment

Working...
                    X