• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Jewel at the Heart of Quantum Physics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Jewel at the Heart of Quantum Physics

This is beautiful. It's well worth a read, the simplification of terms currently used to describe quantum field theory can be vastly reduced to a simple term based on a geometric structure. How wonderful is that? We're back to study the of geometry and statistical distributions to describe why particles may appear to 'be' as at result of some event.

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/qua...antum-physics/
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

I read about the Calibi-Yau manifold a few years ago, which encapsulates possible string theories that can model our universe- with 3 large dimensions, 1 time dimension, and the rest folded up.

Also an application of algebraic geometry to physics problems.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Can you explain this with quantum physics?

Comment

There's another explanation here.

edit: Lubos Motl posted a related article on his blog a couple of days ago.

(It's a good idea to tack "?m=1" on the end of the link when reading Lobos's blog entries, so the pages load faster.)
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 22 September 2013, 16:51.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I read about the Calibi-Yau manifold a few years ago, which encapsulates possible string theories that can model our universe- with 3 large dimensions, 1 time dimension, and the rest folded up.

Also an application of algebraic geometry to physics problems.
          bizarrely this picture reminds of my the stellarator they're building in Garching at the max planck institute for plasma physics just outside Munich.

I took a week off last year to attend lectures for fusion power generation progress. I remain unconvinced.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X