• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Garden Watch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden Watch

This year we've more apples and damsons* than we know what to do with. But no raspberries at all.
    My first experimental veggie patch (and greenhouse, which is cheating a bit) has produced tomatoes, broccoli, onions, chillies, and sweetcorn. Not bad for a first attempt.
    As our garden is fairly secluded I was going to get an egglu and keep some chickens but I reckon the foxes will have them.

*Any ideas for making something alcoholic with damsons? Plum brandy sort of thing?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Damson wine seems popular. Not made it myself though.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

The thing with chicken enclosures is to make sure there is something underneath the enclosure to stop foxes tunneling in, and ideally to have two layers of fencing to make it appear too much effort for them to try and break in

Also consider clipping the wings of the chickens slightly, done right they can only jump in an arc then, so if they do get out they'll have less chance of jumping over walls and fences
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

What about Damson vodka?

Nose Bear | Damson Vodka   Damsons are in season at this time...
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I make damson gin and it is superior to Sloe gin. Use the left over gin soaked damsons for crumble.

Aldi gin recommended.

Home from memory.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            I make damson gin and it is superior to Sloe gin. Use the left over gin soaked damsons for crumble.

Aldi gin recommended.

Home from memory.
            Great and simple ideas, both, Ta. I will in fact do just what you've suggested, trying it for both - I don't like vodka or gin usually but if I can make them more interesting .....
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

The easiest enclosures for chickens, are ones that are above the ground, and don't have steps, just simple round batons. The chickens get up them quickly and easily, foxes can't.

Raspberries we have an abundance of, as well as a lot of other things, but being as we were away all of August and a bit of July, the previous owners have been given a nod of thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Great and simple ideas, both, Ta. I will in fact do just what you've suggested, trying it for both - I don't like vodka or gin usually but if I can make them more interesting .....
                Those glass thingies you put the gin in are substantially cheaper from Ikea and Cargo often have them on sale.

Comment

Damson Gin. Do it exactly the same as sloe gin but with damsons. Drink mixed in with champagne.

Comment

A bit disappointing this thread. I expected you to be watching the next door neighbour's lady garden.

Comment

Working...
                    X