• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Made 10% on my BTL in the last year ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made 10% on my BTL in the last year ...

...or so I'm told by my agent (based on price I paid and likely selling price if I was to sell this year).
    None of my other investments are yielding this much, so is it time to free up some resources and buy another?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Is this before or after factoring in Capital Gains tax?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Is this before or after factoring in Capital Gains tax?
      Before - still much better than most investments nowadays though. And don't forget my nice income stream too.
      Last edited by sasguru; 23 September 2013, 12:51.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

So since the value of the currency has gone down a good 10% over the past year also, you've only broken even

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
          So since the value of the currency has gone down a good 10% over the past year also, you've only broken even
          Possibly, but by that thinking any savings you have is making a huge loss.
          Of course the economy is geared towards the feckless and borrowers nowadays.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

I think the next thing to invest in is equities. The FTSE100 is at the same level as it was in 1998, so has plenty of upside in my opinion.
            Housing, as many people have said, has reached the top of the tree unless the government really pushes the money printing, in which case equities will rise anyway.

Comment

I made 10% on a stocks and shares ISA last year. And no tax to pay.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                Housing, as many people have said, has reached the top of the tree...
                Has it though? The weekend FT reported that the rise in London house prices in the last year was not driven by mortgage credit, but because a full 1/3 of house purchases in the London area were cash purchases. An astonishing statistic. Although maybe not as I was one of those people.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I made 10% on a stocks and shares ISA last year. And no tax to pay.
                  I have equity and ISAs too.
                  Property is the only method I can see of inflation-proofed income for your old-age though.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

I made £10 at a car boot recently.

Comment

Working...
                    X