• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new to this forum and potentially new to contracting and would appreciate any advice that people can give me. I am an experienced IT Project and Programme Manager in a relatively senior position so I am on 3 months notice. As contract roles usually need someone immediately I will need to give up my current job without any contract job to go to. So…..
    1. How long does it usually take to get a new contract position?
    2. How much do IT Project Management Contract Positions usually pay?
    3. Where do you go to find new jobs (is there a recommended website or agency)?
    4. Do you find that you have to work away from home (I live near Leeds in Yorkshire) or are there plenty of jobs always coming up?
    5. Do employees look for previous contracting experience?
    And the million dollar question…….
    would you recommend contracting as a job choice?
    I appreciate any help or advice that you can give me.

Originally posted by ARC View Post
    I am new to this forum and potentially new to contracting and would appreciate any advice that people can give me. I am an experienced IT Project and Programme Manager in a relatively senior position so I am on 3 months notice. As contract roles usually need someone immediately I will need to give up my current job without any contract job to go to. So…..
    4. Do you find that you have to work away from home (I live near Leeds in Yorkshire) or are there plenty of jobs always coming up?
    1) how long is a piece of string
    2) as much or as little as they need to
    3) websites have a google and see or look to the right hand menu for a possible solution
    4) possibly, possibly not. It depends on who needs someone at the time you are looking
    5) yes. They want to know that you know what you are doing so a proven contractor is better than an unknown former permie (sorry to break it to you)

6) um well over to NLUK......
    Last edited by eek; 23 September 2013, 14:47.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

1. If you're highly marketable, 2 weeks maybe. If you struggle to compete, it could be months.
      2. Around £400/day in the south east, a bit more in London, a bit less in the sticks.
      3. Jobserve
      4. Sometimes. If you live in Leeds, then expect to do weekly commutes.
      5. Yes, but sometimes agents like new contractors that they can rip off.

Contracting is right for me, but I can't say if it would be right for you. It depends on why you might want to go contract in the first place.

Comment

Based on the lack of research in your questions I would say no. You have to stand on your own two feet if you are contracting, no hierarchy to fall back on, no one to hold your hand. You have to make it work and I would expect anyone changing the way they work would at least put a modicum of effort in to research it first. I mean, what is the point of thinking of contracting if you don't even have a clue what the rates are for your role?

You also have to get your head around contracting. You mention jobs. We don't have a job, we go for short term engagements with clients. Contracting isn't a job, it is a way of selling your skills to a client.

I think you need to go and look through the newbie guides to the right, use the search function in the Welcome section, do a bit of research and then come and ask some specific questions when you have a slight grasp of the absolute basics.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

1. I've gone straight from contract to contract for several years and then spent 6 months on the bench; it's not easy to define but it does depend on your skills and what skills the market want.
          2. Location and sector dictates rates for the most part - anywhere from £250-£1,750 depending on which industry you're working in and what part of the world.
          3. Jobserve, but don't under estimate how well you can do by having a good relationship with a good agent.
          4. For me at least, that's the best thing about it. The vast majority of my contracts are Manchester/Liverpool but I try to make a conscious effort of a gig a year abroad. Again this experience of working in a different culture can make you more marketable to potential clients (at least in my sector, this is true).
          5. Yes, getting your foot in the door is the hardest part.
          6. Yes, but, again it all depends on circumstance and the contracts you can get. My current gig sees me working from home 80% of the time, not ideal for me but I can imagine that would be a huge plus for anybody with a young family. It works the other way though, you could end up being away from home 80% of the time.

Comment

The biggest problem you have is the 3 month notice period. You either need to negotiate that down to 1 month or less from now so you can start looking for a contract or jump ship to somewhere which will give you a month notice period.

Finding a contract where they will wait a few weeks will be very tough, 3 months is not even a remote possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              The biggest problem you have is the 3 month notice period. You either need to negotiate that down to 1 month or less from now so you can start looking for a contract or jump ship to somewhere which will give you a month notice period.

Finding a contract where they will wait a few weeks will be very tough, 3 months is not even a remote possibility.
              Most employers will waive the notice period if you're not going to a competitor and leave on good terms.

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
                Most employers will waive the notice period if you're not going to a competitor and leave on good terms.
                Depends how busy they are....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
                  I certainly don't agree with this. They will negotiate it down but will not waive it. You hand your notice in on Friday afternoon and you expect them to release you by Monday? I don't think so. A shortened period for handover by negotiation depending on resource to hand it over to maybe. A complete waiver on a 3 month notice period? Nah....
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Somewhere between a day and two years. Depends on what you want to be doing, where you want to be doing it, how much you want to be paid for doing it, and how flexible on any / all of these you are. Some people on here walk from project to project without a day off, some struggle for years (literally) to find the next one.

Somewhere between a few hundred a day and a few thousand. Depends on what the project is, who the client is, where it is, what your area of expertise is, how good you are at negotiating, and how flexible you are.

Jobserve. But I'm not a PM.

Normally, yes. It depends on what you want to be doing, where you want to be doing it, how much you want to be paid for doing it, how flexible you are, and how good you are at negotiating. You'd need to research what projects are looking in the areas you want to work and then look. Being flexible on location is pretty much a given, unless you live in a location where there are likely to be lots of roles for you to do.

Employees, no. Clients, yes.

Do your own research and determine whether it is for you - I know plenty of very good consultants who are not suitable for contracting for a number of reasons. You need to see what it's like and then determine whether it's something for you. It's not just a job, it's a lifestyle choice.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X