• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you start tomorrow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you start tomorrow

I've been given verbal confirmation that I have secured a gig but currently have no contract. Tomorrow is the pencilled in start date. I'm resisting at the moment as I usually get my contract reviewed by Qdos which takes 3 days. My preference would be not to start until next week anyway.

It is being suggested that I could start anyway and that we can backdate the contract once agreed. (They are still promising a draft today)

Has anybody actually experienced this before? I'm kind of guessing that I'll be slated on here for even asking but I thought I would anyway.

Bearing in mind you posted it in General I would expect you get a slating as that is what this part of the forum is for.

If they have gone to the time and effort to pick you I am sure you hold the cards so will be able delay them long enough to get your contract reviewed? The other option is to drop you and start the process all over again which will take a week or so.

QDOS will do it in a day if you mail them and explain the situation.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Plenty on here have done it, and they got flamed.

If the agency are bastards, they could claim that the conversation never took place and then you're stuffed having accepted the only contract offered by starting work.

You *could* try to mitigate that by putting in an email that you are starting work based on the contract passing review, and that if it doesn't you will want it changing.
      But that again will leave you bollocksed if they say no after the review - with your only options being lump it or walk.

Personally I wouldn't do it.
      Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
        I've been given verbal confirmation that I have secured a gig but currently have no contract. Tomorrow is the pencilled in start date. I'm resisting at the moment as I usually get my contract reviewed by Qdos which takes 3 days. My preference would be not to start until next week anyway.

It is being suggested that I could start anyway and that we can backdate the contract once agreed. (They are still promising a draft today)

Has anybody actually experienced this before? I'm kind of guessing that I'll be slated on here for even asking but I thought I would anyway.
        Yes. I stuck to my guns and didn't turn up until B&C (in my case) had seen it. It encouraged the agent to pull his finger out and changes were needed.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          QDOS will do it in a day if you mail them and explain the situation.
          I'm not sure if this has changed since you last did it, or if I'm just a chump, but they charge to expedite review, and don't give a guarantee on how soon they'll get back to you. I think it was only about £30 + VAT, so not breaking the bank.

Comment

I've done it a few times, yes there's an element of risk involved. If you're on the bench currently, which to be fair is the only way you can be available for a full time role immediately, the risk is not that massive, just make sure that you've emails to prove the intent to bill from date X, that the contract is subject to satisfactory terms and conditions which will be professionally reviewed.

If the client is that keen to have you it's in the agents best interests to no fark you about too badly.

Comment

There isn't an agency involved it's actually working for a consultancy company but the end client is a Blue Chip Company. I haven't even received a draft contract yet (or joining instructions)

Comment

Yes.

Either insist on having it reviewed and be safe, or take the risk and don't. I wouldn't start without a contract that I was happy with, though, but how you run your business may differ.

Explain to the agency that you need to have the contract reviewed because without doing that, you are concerned that your insurance policies wouldn't be valid. Get the contract reviewed and then start work once it's agreed.

I know plenty of people who have never considered getting a contract review ("I showed it to my wife...") but I wouldn't want to be working without an expert checking the contract first.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                  I'm not sure if this has changed since you last did it, or if I'm just a chump, but they charge to expedite review, and don't give a guarantee on how soon they'll get back to you. I think it was only about £30 + VAT, so not breaking the bank.
                  QDOS have posted on here a number of times when people are in Kings situation and personally assured they would do it immediately. They even offered this on a Saturday once. Can't be bothered to find the thread.

Maybe it differs between the free and the purchased one and whether it is a full review or just a contract check. Still worth picking the phone up and asking.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There isn't an agency involved it's actually working for a consultancy company but the end client is a Blue Chip Company. I haven't even received a draft contract yet (or joining instructions)
                    Then clearly they're not really in that much of a rush.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X