• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asking for time off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking for time off

Or, rather letting them know when You'Re not going to be around.

How Do you Word the Email?

Something like Dear client co - just to let you know that I wo.t be aVailBle for work on :'<fill in the dates>

Does that sound about right.

Assuming they reply in the Ffirmative, would you keep a copy of the email as defence?

Asking?

I'm not an employee - I tell and advise anything business critical will need to be worked around the dates of absence.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunk View Post

Something like Dear client co - just to let you know that I wo.t be aVailBle for work on :'<fill in the dates>

Assuming they reply in the Ffirmative, would you keep a copy of the email as defence?
      How about starting it with "Just to confirm our conversation, I will be unavailable for work on......".

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
        How about starting it with "Just to confirm our conversation, I will be unavailable for work on......".
        Sounds about right.

No need to hammer home the idea you are a business. As long as your contract and working conditions are in order you can still talk to them f2f and say you are planning to take some time off on so and so date.

Comment

Is your keyboard playing up? I would get a new one before everyone permanently marks you as the illiterate you appear to be..
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hi,

Here's the dates that I won't be working:

<list of dates>

Regards,

TF
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I would have thought a face-to-face with the manager about your intentions first.
              Agree amicably on dates, and point out that you believe you aren't leaving in the middle of critical phase, or dropping them in it.

Then, immediately follow up an email with
              "Further to our recent conversation ....."

Comment

Agree with everyone above that mentions face-to-face with a follow-up e-mail confirming your plans. The direction comes from you, but don't let the tail wag the dog; professional courtesy goes a long way.

Comment

I would say you need a fundamental re-think of your position as it appears even you think you are asking for time off and the wording is just covering up you poor understanding of your situation.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've got one through from a contractor today

" Hi Sarah, just wanted to let you know I'm off for a week date # to #. "

That's pretty much all I expect from the contractors who work for me as they're all pretty sensible & won't take time off heading up to a critical deadline.
                    If I think anything urgent might come up then I'll ask for a contact number or email address, but its only to be used for very critical stuff because otherwise you lose the goodwill.

Comment

Working...
                    X