• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice Needed - Student Son's housemate threatening violence !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Needed - Student Son's housemate threatening violence !

Anyone been in this situation? Any landlords out there?

Only 2 weeks into a joint tenancy (3 students sharing a house) one of the tenant's antisocial behaviour has already reached the stage where there are threats of violence and the police have become involved, e.g. "it's your turn to do the washing up" escalated to the problem person getting a mate round threatening to do violence to the other two (my son and one other), and his mother reporting my son and the other to the police for bullying

My advice to my son was involve (1) Police, (2) Landlord, (3) Student's Union

Anyone got any other or better (legal) suggestions?

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Anyone been in this situation? Any landlords out there?

Only 2 weeks into a joint tenancy (3 students sharing a house) one of the tenant's antisocial behaviour has already reached the stage where there are threats of violence and the police have become involved, e.g. "it's your turn to do the washing up" escalated to the problem person getting a mate round threatening to do violence to the other two (my son and one other), and his mother reporting my son and the other to the police for bullying

My advice to my son was involve (1) Police, (2) Landlord, (3) Student's Union

Anyone got any other or better (legal) suggestions?
    Student union first thing tomorrow....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Is it a university managed property? If so then you probably have a lot more options open than if not
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

What type of tenancy agreement does he have? Is it a joint one for all of them or individual ones?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          his mother reporting my son and the other to the police for bullying

suggestions?
          Sounds like his mother's the real problem - kick her in the fanny.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            What type of tenancy agreement does he have? Is it a joint one for all of them or individual ones?
            Joint ...

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Is it a university managed property? If so then you probably have a lot more options open than if not
              No, it's a private let

Comment

Start recording incidents. Line up a mate to replace the trouble maker.

Comment

Life is too short and shorter still when you need the focus for study.

Inform the landlord your son is moving out. When the questions start the landlord will probably kick out the protagonist. No landlord wants that situation.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Life is too short and shorter still when you need the focus for study.

Inform the landlord your son is moving out. When the questions start the landlord will probably kick out the protagonist. No landlord wants that situation.
                    Am not so sure about that. Student landlords tend to be a hard line lot and know the system well enough. He doesn't have to do squat and is due the rent for the period regardless of what they people in the property get up to. You are going have to have a bloody good argument why the landlord would want to mess about like this when he has a year long contract and your deposit in his grubby hands (ok maybe the deposit isn't quite in his hands but you get my meaning)
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X