• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You can't even spend a penny in the Rhondda

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't even spend a penny in the Rhondda

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/5239962.stm

"A spokesman for HM Court Service said: "Anything over 20p in bronze is not legal tender. You don't have to accept it." "

Well, use 5p coints then - its not bronze right?

Comment

It means staff have to spend two or three hours counting out pennies and bagging them
      Typical thick as tulipe public sector staff. Take the sack of coins to the local supermarket and empty it into the coin exchange machine. Hey presto, two crisp twenty pound notes in approximately 10 seconds time.

Comment

They charge for such coin exchange thing, think something like 7% or so.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          They charge for such coin exchange thing, think something like 7% or so.
          The one in my local Sainsbury's doesn't. It is completely gratis.

Even assuming there is a 7% charge at the court's local supermarket, that's a cost of £2.80 on a £40 fine. Somewhat better value for money than three hours of some public sector worker's time.

Alternatively, they could take it to the nearest bank and say "can you change this for two twenties please, love?", then the bank will count it for them using their money counting machine.

So I repeat, typical thick as tulipe public sector workers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            Even assuming there is a 7% charge at the court's local supermarket, that's a cost of £2.80 on a £40 fine. Somewhat better value for money than three hours of some public sector worker's time.
            Well, its not their job to be fair - yet again I have to say that this coinage act is sensible way to deal with nuisance people like that dude. He was convicted of careless driving (much worse than mere speeding), that's a very serious offence that could have easily killed someone - in such cases one does not have to self-incriminate oneself (unlike in speeding cases), so I don't exactly have sympathy for his case.

If want to commit a transaction then its your responsibility to have legal tender - these coins aint for a good reason, so tough sh1t - he has got a choice to offer legal tender or go to jail for non-payment, clear cut case IMO.

Comment

I agree, Zeity, old boy. Displays of initiative might infringe on the rights of less motivated staff.

Shame it took them until he'd already paid £540 before they did anything about it which, by their calculations, is 40 hours of time spent counting before they twigged.

Comment

Could he not simply queue up hand over 20p in pennies. Get them to mark his card (or whatever way payment is recorded) queue up again repeat.

Fecking fat Welsh courts!
                Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Plus, the guy got tash and we all know that people with facial hair can't be trusted...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    Well, its not their job to be fair - yet again I have to say that this coinage act is sensible way to deal with nuisance people like that dude. He was convicted of careless driving (much worse than mere speeding), that's a very serious offence that could have easily killed someone - in such cases one does not have to self-incriminate oneself (unlike in speeding cases), so I don't exactly have sympathy for his case.

If want to commit a transaction then its your responsibility to have legal tender - these coins aint for a good reason, so tough sh1t - he has got a choice to offer legal tender or go to jail for non-payment, clear cut case IMO.
                    Yes, yes, I agree with that, but they'd already spent 40 hours counting this fecker's coins before they starting refusing them. If only they'd thought it through first.

Comment

Working...
                    X