• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Books that have made an impact on you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books that have made an impact on you

1. Great Expectations

I remember one dull, rainy, winter afternoon, when I was about 8, going into Pater's study/library (which I wasn't allowed to enter usually, but he was away) and picking up a book at random.
    The atmospheric opening passage is with me still, of course you identified with Pip, the misty marshes, the sudden appearance of the convict Magwitch asking for "wittles". I didn't sleep that night, for fear. Over the next month I devoured the book, although it seemed very long at the time.
    That's the book that made me a reader.

2. War and Peace

Years later decided to tackle this - to see what the fuss was all about. Sooon found out why - it's a fantastic novel: the battles scenes make you feel the fear, the characters are realistic and you care what happens to them, you are transported to the period so you feel you know exactly what it was like to live then.
    Something for every one - Can be read at the level of a soap or as a philosophical meditation - since then I've read it a couple more times and got something new each time.

As far as novels go those two have stuck.

Other non-fiction books I remember, that have made an impact:

The Soul of a New Machine - Tracy Kidder - IT made glamorous
    The Lady tasting Tea - Salzburg - fired my interest in Statistics
    The Making of the Atomic bomb - Richard Rhodes (plenty of other books have been written on this, this is the best)
    Man on the Moon - by Chaikin (again IMO the best of the space histories)
    What is Mathematics - Courant (stimulating and challenging, prepare to beat your head against the problems and not manage all of them).
    Calculus - Spivak (infuriating, challenging, mind- stretching)

What are yours?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Fiesta Readers Wives.

Comment

I'm reading 'Nothing to Envy', which was mentioned on here by Mudslipper. Eye opening and sad; that's had an impact.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        Fiesta Readers Wives.
        too quick

Comment

Don't know the name.
          Don't know the author.

It was a hardback, and all I'd done was make some innocuous comment about how people can sit reading when the washing up still needs doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
            too quick
            Yes, the first time I read it, but by the third or fourth time I had it under control.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              I'm reading 'Nothing to Envy', which was mentioned on here by Mudslipper. Eye opening and sad; that's had an impact.
              Just looked that up on amazon. Does look interesting - will add it to my list.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

"How to screw your contractors" by Ivor Bigun
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

The book that had the biggest impact on me was The Bible after falling off the top shelf.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Most valuable books I ever bought....

Engineering Mathematics - Ken Stroud
                    Further Engineering Mathematic - Ken Stroud

... saved my engineering degree skin.

Comment

Working...
                    X