• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who would have thought it? House prices fall in a Ghetto?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who would have thought it? House prices fall in a Ghetto?

'House prices driven down in areas full of migrants', shows new study | Property | News | Daily Express

Dr Nils Braakmann identified two reasons for his findings – which contradict the belief that migrants push prices up.

He says people leave areas as immigrants move in. Properties are left empty and in disrepair and then sell cheaper.

And poorer migrants tend to live in crowded conditions to keep costs down. This depresses values because there is no question of demand outstripping supply.

By contrast, many experts have claimed an influx of eastern Europeans in the past decade is a main cause of raised prices.
    She found immigration equal to one per cent of a local population was linked to a 1.6 per cent fall in property values. This was because 0.9 per cent of the locals moved out – usually wealthier people.
    Now I'm actually surprised by some of this.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Prices in London are rocketing, trust me a just purchased a property. I find that migrants typically move to the more affordable areas, they're still rising but not at the rate of neighboring areas which are less populated by migrants.

But I don't agree that prices will come down because the influx of Poles and Eastern Europeans. It's all about availability, demand & supply. One minute the press is saying that housing in London will go up by 25% in the next 5 years and then you read a report like this.

There will even be a bigger shortage in housing in London as the wave of Romanians and Bulgarians start pouring in. Landlords in London are making a killing!

Comment

On the other hand I've noticed areas where rich Indians (of British origin), doctors, businessmen and the like are purchasing large run-down properties from old white people who have had them for ages but can't maintain them, and doing them up, not always in the best taste it must be said.
      Wonder what happens to house prices there I wonder?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        On the other hand I've noticed areas where rich Indians (of British origin), doctors, businessmen and the like are purchasing large run-down properties from old white people who have had them for ages but can't maintain them, and doing them up, not always in the best taste it must be said.
        Wonder what happens to house prices there I wonder?
        They go up, just as they would if rich Russians or Brits of any colour had done the same. To be honest I prefer some of my Indian neighbours to some of my white British ones.

The statistics are not about race but economic situation.

Normally the researchers mix race in and try to make it a race related issue or smooth it over by highlighting the economic benefits of Sikh/Muslim culture of large families living together being able to buy big houses in nice areas.

You can have a British ghetto - just like you do in spain.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thing is though you can't use one statement to cover it all. There is the price going up generally due to the increase in population over the increase in housing stock. They are skilled migrants but you have to compare all the people that came over during the open door period we have had for decades before and you also have to factor in the generations after the migrants come and start to expand in an area.

You can't just cover all this in one article and come up with a single statement covering it.

Dr Nils Braakmann identified two reasons for his findings – which contradict the belief that migrants push prices up.

He says people leave areas as immigrants move in. Properties are left empty and in disrepair and then sell cheaper.

And poorer migrants tend to live in crowded conditions to keep costs down. This depresses values because there is no question of demand outstripping supply.
          Don't need a doctor to tell you this. Ask anyone that used to live in Bradford. They have known this for decades.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Don't need a doctor to tell you this. Ask anyone that used to live in Bradford. They have known this for decades.
            What jobs are there in Bradford and other areas like Stoke and Hull?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X