• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public schools in Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public schools in Britain

Who sends/is planning to send kids to public schools in Britain?

Hearing from some friends of mine the money you have to spend for that is atrocious. I would never spend that much for something that should be publicly available. Furthermore, I reckon nowadays is not that important any longer. Any point of view? 15k to send a kid to school... you gotta be joking. You can send him to state school until 18 and then with a fraction you can send the kid to study at Harvard. I am sure it is a more profitable solution.

However, why are they called public schools?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

I am, but as you've realised it can cost around £10k to £15k a year per child. The price of education....

The reason that private schools are called public schools in England is historical. These older schools were formed when there was little or no school system; they were called public schools then, because at that time schooling was really only available for the elite by private tutoring. By comparison, these early schools were considered public ... as opposed to private tuition. The name has stuck since, but only in England.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      Who sends/is planning to send kids to public schools in Britain?

Hearing from some friends of mine the money you have to spend for that is atrocious. I would never spend that much for something that should be publicly available. Furthermore, I reckon nowadays is not that important any longer. Any point of view? 15k to send a kid to school... you gotta be joking. You can send him to state school until 18 and then with a fraction you can send the kid to study at Harvard. I am sure it is a more profitable solution.

15K for a decent education? It's costing me almost 12k a year just to keep the nipper in nursery, FFS.

Comment

No kids, so I can't comment on the 1st bit

Originally posted by Francko
        IIRC this comes from the old empire days when Military officers sent their kids to private military schools and the civilian landed gentry sent their kids to public schools.

Edit: Just read HyperD's post and I'm apparently talking crap again.
        Last edited by Pondlife; 3 August 2006, 16:29.

Comment

And with boarding school you never need see the feckers again.

Priceless.

Comment

based upon my experience of State schools, I'd send mine if I could afford it
            Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

£15K is only two months pay at worst.

What sort of contractor couldn't afford to?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian
                15K for a decent education? It's costing me almost 12k a year just to keep the nipper in nursery, FFS.
                Well nurseries provide a private service, I would understand that. But paying 10-15k for primary schools doesn't make sense to me, sorry, especially if you have educated parents who can provide you with what the school cannot give you at certainly a lower price. If I can make a comparison with our IT environment, I would say it's the same as hiring a 1500 quid a day accenture consultant who is probably a useless new grad while you can get a top notch contractor for 600 quid a day. No sense, apart from the manager covering his @ss with more senior managers. But in your family you (and your wife) are the CEOs so I don't really see a big point in it.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn

So please donate 15k to Franco's charity, the only charity in UK that deals with italian contractors victims of the latest IT recession. What's 15k for you, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn

I've got a serious car habit to finance.
                    Priorites please!
                    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Working...
                    X