• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Documentation advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documentation advice please

I'm currently in the process of working out my notice period with a client. I've been requested to document certain processes with the request from a manager to document it in such a way that even he can understand it and carry out the activity.

I've only two weeks to get this done - where should I start?

Do I go for the whole "This is a computer" approach or would I be better off starting from Babbage and cataloging the history of computers from there.

I should also point out that I can use words of more than one syllable, as long as I provide a glossary.

Over to you all .....

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    I'm currently in the process of working out my notice period with a client. I've been requested to document certain processes with the request from a manager to document it in such a way that even he can understand it and carry out the activity.

Do I go for the whole "This is a computer" approach or would I be better off starting from Babbage and cataloging the history of computers from there.

I should also point out that I can use words of more than one syllable, as long as I provide a glossary.

Over to you all .....
    Dunno. I keep getting asked to 'document what I've done'. Every time I fail, they renew my contract...

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post

Over to you all .....
      Ask him what level of detail he requires. If he isn't sure provide an example.

Or you could train him on the process and let him document it to a level he requires. If it was me and the process was critical I would want to make sure that I understood it inside out.

Comment

Screen shots!

It's the only way people learn these days
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Screen shots!

It's the only way people learn these days
          +1

but it is quite expensive in time.

Is it a mutually agreed notice period? Do you want to go back sometime?

pick a few of the simpler & shorter regular routines and do a rough document. get it validated.

This does 2 things
          1. gets their approval for the level of documentation
          2. sets their expectations for time taken.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Find out who works for him, and assess their level of intelligence and understandability. He'll delegate the reading of your notes to them...

Comment

Mark some vague woffling up as Javadoc comments, then run it through javadoc. It'll look fairly polished, which they'll mistake for informative. Job done.

Comment

It is a warm summer evening in ancient Greece...
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

On your notice period hey?

I think you will find the only documentation required is your timesheet.

Comment

Tell him the dog ate it.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X