• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nationwides House Price Index - Sept 2013

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nationwides House Price Index - Sept 2013

Key Points

UK house prices increased by 0.9% in September and were 5% higher than September 2012

The typical UK home is now worth (Nationwides words Dim Prawn - not mine - hehe) £172,127

Southern regions of England, especially London, continued to record strongest rates of house price growth.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/NR/rdonl...531C5M,6OGQO,1

See sig.

PS. I caught my house flicking through a Porsche brochure yesterday, the economy must be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
      Key Points

UK house prices increased by 0.9% in September and were 5% higher than September 2012

The typical UK home is now worth (Nationwides words Dim Prawn - not mine - hehe) £172,127

Southern regions of England, especially London, continued to record strongest rates of house price growth.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/NR/rdonl...531C5M,6OGQO,1
      Just over a year ago I used to constantly keep track of these figures. I finally managed to get onto the housing ladder and I can finally not bother with them anymore!

Comment

it's time to upgrade the bricks and mortar. get in while the prices are low!

searches underway, full survey booked for monday. we might be in by christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
          it's time to upgrade the bricks and mortar. get in while the prices are low!
          The thing is that if you buy a house for £100k and sell it for £200k you haven't necessarily made money on the deal because during the time you were in the £100k house the one you are trading up to has gone up from £200k to £400k so you are £100k worse off.

Of course, if you are trading down then you are better off and you then give £100k to your kids for a deposit on a house which pushes the price up even more.

Prices have gone mental, I've had a house for a while but there is no way I could afford to buy my current house at today's prices.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            The thing is that if you buy a house for £100k and sell it for £200k you haven't necessarily made money on the deal because during the time you were in the £100k house the one you are trading up to has gone up from £200k to £400k so you are £100k worse off.

Of course, if you are trading down then you are better off and you then give £100k to your kids for a deposit on a house which pushes the price up even more.

Prices have gone mental, I've had a house for a while but there is no way I could afford to buy my current house at today's prices.
            Except, when you are trading down, first off you get used to a certain size of property in a nice area. The only way to release large amounts of money is to move somewhere tulipe in a cramped little box.

And even then, are you going to gift the money to the kids or look at how all this inflation has made your pitiful pension worthless and spend the money to survive old age?

Apart for mortgage advisors, banks, estate agents and our wonderful government, most people are better off with house prices staying static and incomes rising.

But our NIMBY land owning Tory overlords are never going to let that be an option...

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              An excellent point, showing that leverage is kind during times when house prices are on the up.

Comment

The lower house prices are, the better.

...except, of course, for people stuck with negative equity.

Nobody would express joy that TVs had gone up in price, why do people treat houses like that? It's mad. OK, you can pretend that you have more money (when in fact you're just paying more interest to a bank and having to save more as you go up market). The only time you gain at all is when you trade down and that pale into insignificance in relation to all the extra interest you will have paid over the life of a mortgage.

The core of the problem is that banks (which create 97% of the money our economy uses, and all of that as debt) determine where they loan money into and they do love a nice recoverable fixed asset as collateral (rather than a truly productive business that might just fail).

Fortunately there's a rapidly growing UK-based campaign that can fix the problems with money creation... Positive Money.

Comment

<dashes off to look for chair and whip>
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    <dashes off to look for chair and whip>
                    For some reason I always imagined you had a whip close to hand at all times
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X