• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear™ : Broke Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear™ : Broke Britain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5244202.stm

Analysts predict the number of personal insolvencies this year will exceed 100,000 - almost three times the total before a law change two years ago.

This week all the major banks increased their provisions to cover debts that will not be repaid.

The law was changed in 2004 so people going bankrupt could be discharged - free of their debts - in under a year.
    Guess who will be paying for that? Get in there quickly...
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Originally posted by hyperD
    "The law was changed in 2004 so people going bankrupt could be discharged - free of their debts - in under a year.

This week Barclays' credit card business Barclaycard announced a 14% drop in profits to £297m as overall charges relating to the writing-off of debts rose by 30%."

Guess who will be paying for that? Get in there quickly...
    Another piece of government legislation that wasn't thought through?

You know, I haven't heard much of that New Labour mantra "Joined up thinking" lately!

Before 1999 legislation like this wouldn't get past the House of Lords because they would spot such problems and kick it back.

Comment

Working...
    X