• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best country for working as IT contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best country for working as IT contractor

Hi there,

As starting contractor I am just wondering what is the best country to work in as a Senior Developer JAVA/NEt or whatever.
    Yeah we as contractors work all around the world seeking for new experiences, projects etc... but we must realize that there is a point
    in our lives where we want to settle, we get family, become old, and the such and we would like to stablish in some place...

My experience/knowledge is as follows:

4 countries:

Position 4:Germany
    -------

pros

Good flow of contracts even for no German speaking peopple.
    High rates like 400 or 500 euros/day.
    cheap cities like Berlin.
    A country not vulnerable to economic crisis (really?)

cons

High tax rate.
    Didicult to establish yourself as freelancer (need more than 2 clients per year).
    German closed people?
    weather?

Position 3:Switzerland

pros

Low tax.
    High rates.
    Lots of contracts.
    rates 800 to 1000 CHF/day.
    Most cities close to borders (live in France, work in Geneva?)

cons
    Expensive country.
    Less taxes working as permie than working as contractor (Health insurance, jobless help, pensions, etc)
    German or French.
    Weather.
    Swiss people closed, and even racist ?
    borest country in the world.

Position 2: UK(London)

pros

High rates (450 pounds/day and even more if working for banks)
    Lots of contracts.
    If you get bored in London, u should suicide.
    English.

cons
    Weather.
    IR35 (as Risk)
    London and whereabouts HIGH competitive (Like 15 people for each contract offer)

Position 1: Ireland(Dublin)
    pros

Good rates, perhaps not as much as London/Switzerland/Germany but OK. 350 low 400 normal 450 possible but more diff (only banks and the such)
    NO IR35 (Well yes, but the consequences are for the agency and the client, not fot the contractor)
    Dublin funny place.
    Girls here drink as much as men so u can speak them in the same frequency (ok I am an alcholic)
    Lots of contracts and not as competitive as London due to population.

cons
    Weather (sorry for insisting, but OP is from Spain)

Simple. Live where you like and travel to where the work is, like the rest of us.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Position 1: Ireland(Dublin)
      pros

Good rates, perhaps not as much as London/Switzerland/Germany but OK. 350 low 400 normal 450 possible but more diff (only banks and the such)
      NO IR35 (Well yes, but the consequences are for the agency and the client, not fot the contractor)
      Dublin funny place.
      Girls here drink as much as men so u can speak them in the same frequency (ok I am an alcholic)
      Lots of contracts and not as competitive as London due to population.

Weather (sorry for insisting, but OP is from Spain)
      I am sorry wanderer, perhaps i didnt give you the correct information, lets talk with real names, the umbrella company is PRIMA UMBRELLA, this is my first contract so I didnt really own a LTD,I am sorry wanderer, perhaps i didnt give you the correct information, lets talk with real names, the umbrella company is PRIMA UMBRELLA, this is my first contract so I didnt really own a LTD,
      I have signed a contract with AgentX wich says that I have to work 7.5 hours in the client. What happens is that the client obligates me to work 8. My current rate is 300 for 7.5, should I claim the difference? I mean for 8 hours it should be 320. They argued that they invoice per day so it doesnt matter how many hours I work... is this right/true? where is the limit? I mean what if I have to work 12 hours a day? or what if I decide to work only 2?

Did you read your own previous posts before posting this one?

So you have been in your first ever contract for just a few weeks, working via an umbrella company for 300 euros which is less that the 350 you consider a low rate.

You need more experience first before being so ambitious.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Asspain View Post
        Hi there,

As starting contractor I am just wondering what is the best country to work in as a Senior Developer JAVA/NEt or whatever.
        Yeah we as contractors work all around the world seeking for new experiences, projects etc... but we must realize that there is a point
        in our lives where we want to settle, we get family, become old, and the such and we would like to stablish in some place...

My experience/knowledge is as follows:

4 countries:

Position 4:Germany
        -------

pros

Good flow of contracts even for no German speaking peopple.
        High rates like 400 or 500 euros/day.
        cheap cities like Berlin.
        A country not vulnerable to economic crisis (really?)

cons

High tax rate.
        Didicult to establish yourself as freelancer (need more than 2 clients per year).
        German closed people?
        weather?
        Some things regarding Germany:

Quality of life - here you'll work to live, not live to work.

Satellite countries for mini break!

Language, shouting louder in English is not cool, some basic Germany is a prerequisite.

Higher tax rate than the UK? Not no more, especially if you're coming here with family.

It's not that difficult to have 2 or more clients here, commercial bureaucracy does not exist to the same extent as it does with clients in the UK.

Berlin is not that cheap anymore, the ship has left the harbour long ago.

Weather? The seasons here are still very recognisable, not like Scotland when you can get snow in the summer.

Did I mention nice beer?

Visiting family back home is easy from here.

Housing very expensive in Munich

No Sunday shopping if you're into that sort of thing, people go for walks in the park instead.

Older generation can be difficult, younger generation alive and vibrant.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Simple. Live where you like and travel to where the work is, like the rest of us.
          Or live and work at home with the occasional bit of travelling.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

UK.

In the 90s...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              UK.

In the 90s...
              I thought you loved us?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I thought you loved us?
                It's a thin line between love and hate and on CUK it's particularly blurry

Comment

Saudi or Emirates.

Comment

Netherlands. Most people speak English in the Big cities. Lots of Easy jet flights into Schipol airport, good night life and 24 hours trains

Comment

Working...
                    X