• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weekly doom round up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly doom round up

Solar sun spot activity
    Fukushima
    Global markets

Front running w/c 30/09/2013

Solar sun spot activity

Sun

The sun goes through a regular 11-year cycle with a maximum, when sunspot activity is at its peak, followed by a minimum when sunspot numbers are reduced and are smaller and less energetic. We are supposed to be at a peak of activity, at solar maximum.

Outside the norm
    The current situation, however, is outside the norm and the number of sunspots seems in steady decline. The sun was undergoing “bizarre behaviour” said Dr Craig DeForest of the society.

“The sun’s current maximum activity period is very late and very weak, leading to speculation that the sunspot cycle itself could be shutting down or entering a dormant phase,” he said before the teleconference.
    On Fukushima

Sushi off the menu

Nuclear Expert in California: They’re dumping huge amounts of Fukushima contamination in Pacific; “We could have large numbers of cancer” from eating fish — Japan Prime Minister ‘put to shame’ -Newspaper

Look at what’s going on now: They’re dumping huge amounts of radioactivity into the ocean — no one expected that in 2011,” Daniel Hirsch, a nuclear policy lecturer at the University of California-Santa Cruz, told Global Security Newswire. “We could have large numbers of cancer from ingestion of fish.”
    Leaky bottom

TEPCO 'finds crack' in Fukushima?s water tank after huge sea leak ? RT News

Workers from Japan’s TEPCO Fukushima Daiichi plant have located a crack in the bottom of a tank that may have leaked 300 tons of radioactive water in August, Japanese media reports. This comes as the company seeks to reopen another nuclear plant.

The water that was being pumped into the tank at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant could have caused the existing gap to expand and likely led to the massive leak, TV channel NHK reported. The leak which sparked the crisis came from one of the 1,000 above-ground storage tanks built inside the plant by Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO). The company promised to continue their investigations.
    Cover up

South Korean minister calls Japan

Short of calling the Japanese government a liar, South Korea’s fisheries minister strongly blasted Japan on Monday for trying to downplay and cover up the now high-profile contaminated water leaks at the disaster stricken Fukushima nuclear power plant. Yoon Jin-sook, South Korea’s minister of oceans and fisheries said that Japan as a country is without conscience or morality for hiding the leaks for so long before they were eventually admitted by the government and utility operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO).
    “We wondered if we had to protect such immoral people under diplomatic protocols, and so we did it (placed an import ban) as soon as we could,”
    Global Markets

BBC News - Markets hit by political crises in US and Italy

Financial markets have been hit by the prospect of a US government shutdown and a crisis for Italy's government.

Italy's stock market has fallen almost 2%, while shares in London, Frankfurt and Paris have dropped by about 1%.

The US needs to agree a new spending bill before the financial year ends at midnight on Monday. But political divisions have resulted in a stalemate.

In Italy, Prime Minister Enrico Letta is to hold a confidence vote on Wednesday.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

We can print some fish and some money.

Sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      We can print some fish and some money.

Sorted.
      Actually I was waiting for the global elite to rebase money on millisiverts.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Actually I was waiting for the global elite to rebase money on millisiverts.
        What has that got to do with the price of fish?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          What has that got to do with the price of fish?

Probably everything

Comment

Suity actually sounds pretty cheerful for a monday

God, I hope all that radiation doesn't affect the price of tuna. That's practically my staple diet
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Suity actually sounds pretty cheerful for a monday

God, I hope all that radiation doesn't affect the price of tuna. That's practically my staple diet
              Tuna for breakfast?

Comment

Working...
              X