• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CXCVI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CXCVI

Ah, the bench! Lovely and comfy it is, compared to travelling the A14 at some ungodly hour like 9am. I'll just post these, then I'll go and make myself a fry-up for breakfast
    • Live London Bus Map - Matthew Somerville of mySociety produces yet another mashup of open data, combining OpenStreetMap with TfL's live bus location feed.

• Decyphering the Business Card Raytracer - "I recently came across Paul Heckbert's business card raytracer. For those that have never heard of it: It is a very famous challenge in the Computer Graphics field that started on May 4th, 1984 via a post on comp.graphics by Paul Heckbert ( More about this in his article "A Minimal Ray Tracer" from the book Graphics Gems IV). The goal was to produce the source code for a raytracer...that would fit on the back of a business card." Fabien Senglard offers a detailed analysis of Andrew Kensler's solution, which is:

Code:
      #include <stdlib.h>   // card > aek.ppm
          #include <stdio.h>
          #include <math.h>
          typedef int i;typedef float f;struct v{
          f x,y,z;v operator+(v r){return v(x+r.x
          ,y+r.y,z+r.z);}v operator*(f r){return
          v(x*r,y*r,z*r);}f operator%(v r){return
          x*r.x+y*r.y+z*r.z;}v(){}v operator^(v r
          ){return v(y*r.z-z*r.y,z*r.x-x*r.z,x*r.
          y-y*r.x);}v(f a,f b,f c){x=a;y=b;z=c;}v
          operator!(){return*this*(1/sqrt(*this%*
          this));}};i G[]={247570,280596,280600,
          249748,18578,18577,231184,16,16};f R(){
          return(f)rand()/RAND_MAX;}i T(v o,v d,f
          &t,v&n){t=1e9;i m=0;f p=-o.z/d.z;if(.01
          <p)t=p,n=v(0,0,1),m=1;for(i k=19;k--;)
          for(i j=9;j--;)if(G[j]&1<<k){v p=o+v(-k
          ,0,-j-4);f b=p%d,c=p%p-1,q=b*b-c;if(q>0
          ){f s=-b-sqrt(q);if(s<t&&s>.01)t=s,n=!(
          p+d*t),m=2;}}return m;}v S(v o,v d){f t
          ;v n;i m=T(o,d,t,n);if(!m)return v(.7,
          .6,1)*pow(1-d.z,4);v h=o+d*t,l=!(v(9+R(
          ),9+R(),16)+h*-1),r=d+n*(n%d*-2);f b=l%
          n;if(b<0||T(h,l,t,n))b=0;f p=pow(l%r*(b
          >0),99);if(m&1){h=h*.2;return((i)(ceil(
          h.x)+ceil(h.y))&1?v(3,1,1):v(3,3,3))*(b
          *.2+.1);}return v(p,p,p)+S(h,r)*.5;}i
          main(){printf("P6 512 512 255 ");v g=!v
          (-6,-16,0),a=!(v(0,0,1)^g)*.002,b=!(g^a
          )*.002,c=(a+b)*-256+g;for(i y=512;y--;)
          for(i x=512;x--;){v p(13,13,13);for(i r
          =64;r--;){v t=a*(R()-.5)*99+b*(R()-.5)*
          99;p=S(v(17,16,8)+t,!(t*-1+(a*(R()+x)+b
          *(y+R())+c)*16))*3.5+p;}printf("%c%c%c"
          ,(i)p.x,(i)p.y,(i)p.z);}}
    • D.W. Griffith’s The Mended Lute – Academic Audio Commentary - "The American Studies and History Podcast presents an academic audio commentary on D.W. Griffith’s 1909 film, The Mended Lute. The video below contains the entire 8 minute original film with a new audio commentary track exploring the racist attitudes which sit at the heart of this production."

• Lanyrd: from idea to exit - the story of our startup - Natalie Downe and Simon Willison started Lanyrd when they came down with food poisoning in Morocco on their honeymoon, soon raised over $1 million in funding, and have just been acquired by Eventbrite. This is "...the story of Lanyrd from a two-week proof of concept to a fully-fledged startup, the lessons learned along the way about building and launching a product, running a company, raising investment and the entrepreneurship journey. This is the talk she wished she heard before getting started!"

• Survivorship Bias - "The Misconception: You should focus on the successful if you wish to become successful. The Truth: When failure becomes invisible, the difference between failure and success may also become invisible." David McRaney draws on examples from, among other places, the USA's Statistical Research Group, which achieved important mathematical breakthroughs in support of the war effort in WWII.

• Hyperlapse Tutorial - How-to from start to finish - Video tutorial from Morten Rustad, explaining how to make those cool hypertimelapses with minimal equipment.

• Isaac Newton: 17th-Century London’s Dirty Harry - "The science titan wasn’t used to being outsmarted. But after two years of trying to shut down English counterfeiting, one underworld kingpin was still getting the better of him." Turns out Newton wasn't above a few dirty tricks when it came to prosecuting a notorious counterfeiter.

• Super-ellipse Calculator & Plotter - "The general Cartesian notation of the form comes from the French mathematician Gabriel Lamé (1795–1870) who generalized the equation for the ellipse (Lamé curve). Piet Hein used the Lamé curve in many designs. He used n=2.5 found by trial and error and names it the superellipse. Using e (~ 2,718) as n is by many considered to be a better and more harmonic visual choice. As e is the base of the natural logarithm the result is often referred to as the natural superellipse. A generalization of the superellipse formula was first proposed by Johan Gielis. It is known as the Superformula." And now you can play with them in your browser

• What the Man Who Invented the Rolling Stones Can Teach You About Branding - "Andrew Loog Oldham, the manager and producer of the Rolling Stones from 1963 until 1967, still considers his work in branding the world's greatest rock band—he essentially built their image from the ground up—to be all but unsurpassed." Short interview revealing some of the simple but effective techniques Oldham used to build the image of the Stones.

• Why drunk women don’t make good sweethearts, 1795 - "Inebriated women clearly do not make the most delicate wives and sweethearts. This satire on drunkenness in the fairer sex, published in 1795, depicts eight ladies young and old drinking gin, falling over, vomiting and walking into things (also featuring the occasional disgruntled gent)." Quite similar to a CUK meetup, then

Happy invoicing!

Now there's some proper C
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      [LIST][*]Live London Bus Map - Matthew Somerville of mySociety produces yet another mashup of open data, combining OpenStreetMap with TfL's live bus location feed.
      That is very cool. Could he not put that in to an app? Would be extremely useful! or is there already one for this?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        That is very cool. Could he not put that in to an app? Would be extremely useful! or is there already one for this?
        Works as-is in the browser on my iPhone and iPad, so it ought to work OK on Android devices too

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Plan b?
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by survivorship bias
            success boils down to serially avoiding catastrophic failure while routinely absorbing manageable damage.
            It turns out I'm remarkably successful. Awesome.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Survivorship Bias.

Neat.

From the days when a computer was made of meat.

Yum.
              Indeed that and The Isaac Newton links were my favourites.

Keep it up!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X