• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A cut too far?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cut too far?

‘America’s Toughest Sheriff’ Takes Meat off Jail Menu | TIME.com

Inmates in Arizona’s Maricopa County jail system already have it harder than most other prisoners. By decree of Sheriff Joe Arpaio, they are only given two meals a day, which they must pay for out of pocket. All inmates, even the mentally ill, are made to wear pink underwear, sometimes by force (the subject of recent litigation). And those residing in Tent City prison, a self-described “concentration camp,” must brave summer temperatures as high as 117 degrees.

Now these same prisoners –totalling roughly 8,000 in number — must suffer one further hardship: they will no longer be able to eat meat.

According to Arpaio, who calls himself “America’s Toughest Sheriff,” it’s a cost saving measure. In a recent appearance on Fox 10, a local Phoenix affiliate, the Sheriff explained that “little by little,” he’s taking his prison system vegetarian. “There will be no more meat on the menu,” said Arapaio, “we’ll save $100,000.”

well it certainly puts UK jails into perspective.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Should I expect an exposé in the Daily Wail shortly about how he's creating a holiday camp for gay vegetarians ?
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

In America it’s important to differentiate between a prison and a jail
      Jail = Pre-trial detention centres . i.e. people who are still innocent but for whatever reason are not out on bail
      Prison = Detainment for those found guilty

A prison complex (like this one) may include housing for both types of prisoner.
      Sheriff Joe Arpaio is punishing the (potentially) innocent as well as the convicted crims
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Those on remand I would expect to be treated better. I believe they are from memory there was a documentary on him a while back.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Those on remand I would expect to be treated better. I believe they are from memory there was a documentary on him a while back.
          There was. He couldn't be described as liberal, but his logic was sound. Make prison so fecking awful it scares the inmates into behaving in the future.

The tent city was made from military tents and equipment (sans guns & bombs). He stated "If it's good enough for a marine it's good enough for the inmates".

He received a request from the female inmates that the new uniforms had vertical stripes as they were 'slimming'. Up rocks a whole lot of horizontal striped boilers suits. "It aint no fashion parade" was his reply.

His approach wasn't exactly subtle - but once the sentence was served he bade them farewell with a handshake. Quite a number of the prisoners found the discipline they needed to sort out their acts and IIRC one guy had come back after getting some qualifications and was working as a guard.

Comment

He sounds like a right contrary git.

The trick with people like that is to use simple reverse psychology.
            For example, if they locked me up in tent city, I would very cleverly Petition the head warder 'my name is cool hand EO. please dress me up in pink undies, make me break rocks for 16 hours a day, don't give me ten pints of fozzies every night.'

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              He sounds like a right contrary git.

The trick with people like that is to use simple reverse psychology.
              For example, if they locked me up in tent city, I would very cleverly Petition the head warder 'my name is cool hand EO. please dress me up in pink undies, make me break rocks for 16 hours a day, don't give me ten pints of fozzies every night.'

Obviously they've not come up against intellect such as yours yet ....

Comment

Working...
              X