• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are agencies allergic to email ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are agencies allergic to email ?

I've always been more of an email person, at least when it comes to agencies belting out the sales pitch over the phone. Some comical scenarios include me repeatedly saying 'I don't want to work in Germany' while being forced to listen to a non-stop high-volume ten minute bipolar-manic rant on the virtues of working in Germany.

Anyway I've noticed recently that agencies just will not send an email if they can't get through to your phone. I am intruiged about the reason for this: maybe Edward Snowden has scared people into believing that phone calls are less susceptible to espionage, or maybe the clients insist on such a quick turnaround at the moment that immediate contact is essential ?

Agents don't send email because most of them are illiterate.

And you need to practise your technique of saying very loudly when an agent is talking - "I'm busy and I already said I was not interested - Goodbye" followed by a click.

Some of them think that they accidentally get disconnected if this happens but when they ring back tell them straight it was no accident, say "Goodbye" and follow it with a click again.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It's not just agents, it's all sales people. An email does not invite closure, whereas the skills of closing a sale directly with a person on a phone or face-to-face have a better chance of success.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Email is reserved for times when they actually HAVE a contract, you're a shoe in to get it and for final negotiation type stuff.

When they're fishing for info, doing their makework to appear busy (update on status type stuff) or have something that isn't even close to firm as a prospect it's strictly phonecalls.

Comment

Plenty of agents leave me voicemails, and also send an email just in case I don't pick up the voicemail.

These are usually the ones who have genuine roles to fill in my experience.

Comment

Email should be the preferred route.
            I like the audit trail nature of the written word; to confirm in black and white things discussed.

Maybe those who dont email are saying things on the phone they could conceivably deny later on.

PS: the apostrophe in "don't" above left out deliberately to reinforce the stereotype of agents as illiterate.

Comment

All the German agents I deal with over the phone, if I don't answer, will leave both a voicemail and send an e-mail. If I do answer they will also send an e-mail just so that I get their contact details. This also tends to only be with German companies, British based, or owned ones, just continually send me e-mails for positions for which I have no qualifications for...If I do ring an agent who has sent me an e-mail, 99% of the time I'll get straight through to them or they ring me back as soon as they can. Makes you wonder...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                It's not just agents, it's all sales people. An email does not invite closure, whereas the skills of closing a sale directly with a person on a phone or face-to-face have a better chance of success.
                And it's a bugger to get rid of them if they've got you in their sites.

I'm going to have to just lie to one of them tomorrow because they don't believe the truth (I don't want your contract - you called me!)
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by evilagent View Post
                  I like the audit trail nature of the written word; to confirm in black and white things discussed.

Maybe those who dont email are saying things on the phone they could conceivably deny later on.
                  Absolutely! I've had agents come out with a huge line of bulltulip and there is no way on earth they would put that down in writing because it would make them look utterly stupid (and a liar). They prefer a discussion because they can just deny the whole lot afterwards or pretend you "misunderstood".
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    +1

I emailed an agent yesterday, explaining why I was now not going to be attending an interview later this week. I gave full & frank reasons in the email, and apologised for any inconvenience.

She called almost as soon as I hit send, to ask me the questions I'd answered in my email.

She also told me she was 'disappointed' I had accepted something else, as she wasn't 'aware' I was looking elsewhere.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X